Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoonJune 27th, 2011 - 10:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 27 (IANS) In a bid to substantially increase its forest cover, the Punjab government has decided to pursue a massive tree plantation drive during this monsoon season to plant 1.14 crore (11.4 million) saplings across the state.
“Saplings have already been prepared, for plantation, in various nurseries of the forest department. We have also issued the necessary instructions to the authorities concerned to plant the saplings in the ongoing monsoon season,” said Forest and Wildlife Minister Arunesh Shakir here Monday.
“The Punjab government has introduced several initiatives to expand the area under forest cover and this is the part of that initiative. Out of the 1.14 crore saplings, 67 lakh saplings would be planted by the forest department while 47 lakh saplings would be planted through farmers. Currently 5.02 percent area of Punjab is under the forest and we have set a target to increase it to 15 per cent by 2020,” he added.
Shakir said that the employees of forest department would regularly visit the areas where saplings would be planted to inspect their status.
- Punjab, Pakistan to exchange wildlife - Sep 25, 2011
- Dikshit launches green Delhi drive - Jul 23, 2011
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- Punjab to create 'green wall' around industrial hubs - Jun 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh district launches afforestation drive - May 14, 2010
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
- Punjab comes to peacock's aid - Jun 02, 2011
- Punjab government, SGPC to make state more green - Sep 14, 2009
- Delhi starts planting one million trees (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Haryana to plant 50 million trees in 2010-11 - Mar 20, 2010
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Delhi sanctuary to get 1 lakh saplings - Aug 18, 2011
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- Dikshit launches plantation drive in NDMC area - Sep 01, 2012
- Punjab to set up breeding centre for state bird - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: authorities, crore, farmers, forest department, initiative, initiatives, june 27, massive tree, monsoon season, necessary instructions, nurseries, plantation drive, punjab government, shakir, target, tree plantation