Punjab police officer shoots stray dogs with AK-47, now in dockApril 1st, 2009 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, April 1 (IANS) A Punjab police officer Wednesday found himself on the wrong side of law when, enraged with stray dogs coming close to his pet, he pumped the roadside strays with bullets from the AK-47 rifle of his official gunman.
Commandant T.P. Singh also injured his personal security officer, assistant sub-inspector Baz Singh, who was hospitalised with a bullet injury in his leg, and has now been booked for his offences.
Though the incident took place Monday, police officials kept it under wraps until now but finally had to register a case Wednesday against Singh at the Civil Lines police station.
Singh, who is posted with the Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) of the Punjab police, now faces cases under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, the Arms Act and the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, officials said.
The police officer killed the stray dogs after virtually snatching the AK-47 of his gunman when the roadside canines attacked his pet dog after it ventured out of the house Monday.
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- Man jailed for eating cats - Feb 16, 2012
- Beijing cops chase, catch a stray canine! - May 14, 2012
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Three cops suspended for vandalism in Chandigarh - Jun 23, 2011
- Seven special police men suspended in West Bengal - Oct 14, 2011
- Delhi Police ASI shoots head constable (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Pets run loose as Chinese hostelers abandon them - May 27, 2011
- Has Srinagar gone to the dogs, residents ask (Jammu and Kashmir Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Delhi Police ASI shoots colleague over throwing of garbage (Second lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Dog killed for chewing on Bible - Jan 26, 2011
- Disco-loving cops colour Chandigarh crime scene - Dec 14, 2011
- Debasree Roy toils to make Kolkata a better place for stray animals - Aug 28, 2010
- Fight over dog biscuit leads to arrest - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoist shot dead in Odisha - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: ak 47 rifle, april 1, baz, bullets, commandant, cruelty to animals, gunman, indian penal code, irb, personal security, police officer, police officials, police station, prevention of cruelty to animals, reserve battalion, security officer, stray dogs, strays, wraps, wrong side