‘Punish Thane man for illegally possessing snakes’April 11th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thane, April 11 (IANS) An animal protection group Wednesday demanded action against a snake rescuer and trainer in Maharashtra’s Thane district for what it called illegal possession of reptiles, one of whom bit a woman causing her death last week.
Riddhi Thakur, 21, an agriculture college student, was bitten by a cobra at Kunte’s home March 31. She died after a five-day battle for life, said the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO).
The group said that Kunte ran an unregistered organisation called Maharashtra Animal Rescue Association in Thane.
The FIAPO demanded that the forest department and wildlife protection officials in Thane and the Central Zoo Authority (CZA) should initiate action against those who possess snakes and keep them in unnatural and stressful environment.
Arpan Sharma, CEO, FIAPO, said: “Snakes are protected under the Wildlife Protection Act and any person who is in possession of any wild animal must be authorised by the forest department to possess that animal and recognised by the CZA in order to exhibit that animal or to house it.”
- Rescue captive elephants, rights group asks Natarajan - Jul 05, 2012
- Egyptian cobra escapes from Bronx zoo - Mar 29, 2011
- Withdraw undergarment ad featuring roosters: ASCI - May 23, 2012
- Reward announced for information on people involved in dog fighting - May 31, 2012
- Reward for info on dog fights (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Man posts dead dog's picture on Facebook, draws flak - Jun 01, 2011
- Odisha to release captured leopard into wild - Aug 07, 2012
- Snake that bit model did not die from silicone poisoning - Mar 19, 2011
- Snake stolen from Mumbai zoo - May 29, 2011
- Rights groups hail advisory on animal abuse on TV - Jul 23, 2012
- Worshippers cry foul as Madhya Pradesh 'de-fangs' Nagpanchmi - Jul 26, 2009
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
- Bihar, Tripura zoos to exchange rare animals - Jun 13, 2010
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- PETA welcomes Central Zoo Authority ban on tuskers in zoos - Nov 16, 2009
Tags: agriculture college, animal protection, animal rescue, cobra, cza, forest department, illegal possession, kunte, maharashtra, organisations, protection group, reptiles, rescuer, snake, snakes, stressful environment, thakur, thane district, wild animal, wildlife protection act