Public hearing on Polavaram irrigation projectMarch 16th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 16 (IANS) After strong objections of Chhattisgarh, the central government has decided to hold a public hearing over a planned irrigation project on Godavari river by neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, the state assembly was informed Wednesday.
“Union Minister for Forest and Environment Jairam Ramesh has agreed to hold a public hearing on Polavaram irrigation project after the Chhattisgarh government strongly put the case before him,” an official statement said.
According to the Chhattisgarh government, the project will submerge 7,500 hectares of forest land in the state and will affect population of 20 villages in Dantewada district.
The statement said Ramesh has informed Chief Minister Raman Singh by a letter about the decision to hold a public hearing.
Last week too, Raman Singh told the state assembly that the government would oppose the project “at all levels as it is not acceptable to Chhattisgarh”.
Ramesh too has objected to the Andhra Pradesh going ahead with the project without settling the issue of building embankments with the Chhattisgarh and Orissa governments.
- Chhattisgarh opposes Andhra irrigation project - Mar 09, 2011
- Andhra, Orissa, Chhattisgarh urged to resolve Polavaram row - Mar 19, 2011
- Rosaiah rules out public hearing on Polavaram dam - Nov 03, 2010
- Orissa to wait for apex court verdict on Polavaram - Nov 12, 2010
- Declare Polavaram a national project: Jagan - Feb 07, 2011
- Odisha objects to Andhra's move on Polavaram project - Jul 24, 2012
- Orissa to move Supreme Court against Polavaram project - Aug 30, 2010
- We will reply to green ministry on Polavaram project: Rosaiah - Nov 02, 2010
- Andhra offers talks with Orissa over Polavaram project - Nov 02, 2010
- Orissa demands withdrawal of clearance to Polavaram project - Aug 10, 2010
- Orissa objects to green signal to Polavaram project - Jan 07, 2011
- Orissa seeks PM's help in irrigation project row - Aug 05, 2009
- Orissa moves Supreme Court against irrigation project - Sep 04, 2010
- BJD intensifies protest against Polavaram project - Aug 27, 2012
- Orissa moves apex court against green nod for project (Lead) - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, central government, chhattisgarh government, chief minister, embankments, forest land, godavari river, governments, hectares, irrigation project, jairam ramesh, objections, orissa, population, public hearing, state assembly, union minister