‘Press photography in Goa’s illegal mines risky’June 3rd, 2011 - 1:23 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 2 (IANS) Press photography in Goa’s hinterland pockmarked by open cast iron ore mines is fraught with risk due to the illegal mining mafia, according to the head of a local press photographers association.
Speaking to reporters at a press conference here, Rajtilak Naik, who heads the Photo-Journalists Association of Goa (PJAG), said that clicking photos in the environmentally sensitive Western Ghats, which are riddled with scores of illegal mining operations, was a dangerous affair, thanks to the writ of the illegal mining mafia.
“It’s a huge risk. The mining corridor is almost like a mafia. Taking photos of illegal mining is very, very hazardous here,” said Naik, while announcing a state level environment photography competition on the occasion of World Environment Day on June 5.
He cited the case of local journalist Gary Azevedo who was kidnapped by bouncers employed by mining firms at Cavrem, 60 kms from here, when he was taking photograghs of an illegal mine May 3.
Over the last few years, several journalists, including CNN-IBN’s Bahar Dutt and Prerana Bindra, an environmental journalist formerly employed with the national weekly Tehelka, were detained by armed mining lease guards while they were photographing illegal mining in Goa’s hinterland.
Government data pegs the state’s illegal mining industry at Rs.4,000 crore.
Leader of Opposition Manohar Parrikar has said that nearly 18 percent of Goa’s total 45 million mining output comprises of illegally mined ore.
- Journalists condemn attack on Goa press photographers - May 27, 2011
- Ministry orders study on Goa's controversial mining - Aug 23, 2011
- Goa closes illegal mine after tribal protests - May 16, 2011
- Photo journalists summoned over snapping president on Goa beach - Jan 05, 2011
- Kejriwal demands action on attack against tribal leader - May 14, 2011
- Goa government caps mining truck permits - Apr 04, 2012
- Illegal mining will trigger crisis in Goa: NGO - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Google Earth can help fight illegal mining in Goa' - Jul 20, 2011
- Goa shuts illegal mine after tribal protest (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Goa mining body condemns attack on activist - May 20, 2011
- Goa government closes illegal mine after tribal protest - Mar 02, 2011
- Jayanthi Natarajan to arrive in Goa amidst mining controversy - Sep 05, 2012
- Goa tribals opposing illegal mining seek NHRC probe - May 14, 2011
- Mining dumps in Goa the next Congress-BJP battleground? (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: bahar, cnn, cnn ibn, dangerous affair, environmental journalist, fraught with risk, government data, iron ore mines, journalists association, leader of opposition, level environment, naik, photo journalists, photography competition, prerana, press photographers association, press photography, tehelka, western ghats, world environment day