Powerful quake strikes off Sumatra island (Lead)September 30th, 2009 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Sep 30 (DPA) A powerful earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale struck off Indonesia’s Sumatra island Wednesday, toppling buildings and sparking panic among residents, officials and local television reports said.
TV One channel said it had received information that several people had been killed in the capital of West Sumatra.
Three employees of a car showroom in Padang were trapped when the building collapsed, it said.
“We have received reports many buildings, including hotels, in Padang collapsed,” said Rachmat Priyono, an official at Indonesia’s National Meteorological and Geophysics Agency (BMG).
Telephone communications to Padang and nearby Pariaman district were cut following the quake, local residents told television reporters.
The quake struck at 5:16 p.m. at a depth of 71 km, about 57 km southwest of Pariaman in West Sumatra province,
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued an Indian Ocean tsunami alert after the quake but later cancelled it.
A 6.2-magnitude aftershock followed the initial quake about 22 minutes later, BMG said in a statement.
The quake was also felt strongly in North Sumatra, Riau in eastern Sumatra as well as Bengkulu province in southern Sumatra, residents told Metro TV.
“People ran out of their houses in panic. Many are still outside,” a resident in North Sumatra told Metro TV.
Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago, sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire”, the edge of a tectonic plate prone to seismic upheaval.
A major earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck in December 2004, leaving more than 170,000 people dead or missing in Indonesia’s Aceh province and half a million people homeless.
- At least 75 killed in Indonesian quake (Second Lead) - Sep 30, 2009
- Powerful quake strikes off Sumatra island - Sep 30, 2009
- 75 killed, hundreds trapped in Indonesia quake (Roundup) - Sep 30, 2009
- Five killed in Indonesian quakes (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- One killed, four hurt in Indonesia quakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia's Aceh, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2010
- Strong, undersea quake strikes off Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Indonesia: Five killed, several injured in Wednesday's earthquakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- Two killed in Indonesia quake (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: aceh province, eastern sumatra, half a million, indian ocean tsunami, initial quake, largest archipelago, magnitude aftershock, metro tv indonesia, north sumatra, pacific ring of fire, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning center, powerful quake, quake strikes, richter scale, southern sumatra, sumatra island, tsunami alert, tsunami warning center, west sumatra