Powerful earthquake rocks eastern GreenlandAugust 30th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, Aug 30 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale rocked the sea area off the eastern coast of Greenland Thursday, said the US Geological Survey, reported Xinhua.
The epicentre, with a depth of 8.6 km, was 428 km off the north-eastern coast of Greenland. The quake occurred at 1.43 p.m. GMT.
The earthquake was initially measured at 7.0 on the Richter scale, said Danish broadcaster TV2 citing the US Geological Survey.
Greenland is a self-governing territory of Denmark located within the Arctic Circle.
- 5.5-magnitude quake off Japan's Honshu - Apr 02, 2011
- Quake hits Japan - Apr 21, 2011
- Strong quake hits Norwegian Sea: USGS - May 25, 2012
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits Japan - Oct 21, 2011
- Quake jolts India-Myanmar border - Jul 15, 2012
- Magnitude-5.9 quake hits Japan - Mar 22, 2011
- Second temblor rocks Indonesia - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake hits Taiwan - Jun 10, 2012
- 5.9-magnitude quake hits Fiji region - Mar 27, 2011
- Quake hits Taiwan region - Jul 19, 2011
- 7.6-magnitude quake off central Philippines (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 31, 2012
- 6.8 magnitude quake hits Peru - Aug 25, 2011
- Quake hits Taiwan - Nov 22, 2010
- 8.8 quake hits Japan, triggers tsunami (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011