Power firm urges Delhi residents to observe Earth HourMarch 24th, 2011 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 24 (IANS) From sending SMSes to screening documentaries at resident welfare association (RWA) meetings, Delhi’s major power distribution company BSES is going all out to urge the capital’s residents to observe Earth Hour Saturday and save energy.
Expressing solidarity with the initiative, a BSES statement Thursday said it is doing all it can to make the Earth Hour 2011 observance here a success.
Beginning at 8.30 p.m. Saturday, Earth Hour will be observed for an hour, during which people have been urged to switch off all non-essential lights and other electrical appliances and save energy.
“BSES takes multiple steps to promote Earth Hour. SMSes are being sent to over 10 lakh customers, Earth Hour documentary is being screened during RWA meetings and posters are being displayed at offices and disseminated to RWAs,” the statement said.
All non-essential lights will also be switched off in the BSES offices during the Earth Hour, it added.
According to the statement, during the last Earth Hour observance in 2010, Delhi saved over 300 MW of power.
Delhi will join nearly a billion people in Mumbai, Los Angeles, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Rome, Manila, Singapore, Dubai and over 6,000 other cities in 130 countries across the globe to observe the Earth Hour March 26.
“The message of the Earth Hour this year is to go beyond the hour, and commit to a more sustainable way of living, everyday and not just for an hour. It calls for individual action - albeit small - to sustain commitments and responsible actions beyond the hour,” it said.
Earth Hour is an annual international event supported by environment group WWF - the World Wide Fund for Nature.
- Distcom urges consumers to switch off on Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2012
- BSES joins hands with WWF to observe Earth Hour - Mar 25, 2010
- Over 4,000 cities to turn off lights during Earth Hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Earth hour 2012: Set to go dark for an hour? - Mar 31, 2012
- Bangladesh to observe Earth Hour - Mar 29, 2012
- Earth Hour a phenomenon in cyber space - Mar 24, 2011
- UN to observe Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Taj group to take steps beyond Earth hour - Mar 25, 2011
- Delhi set to turn off lights for Earth Hour - Mar 26, 2011
- Delhi switches off lights for Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2010
- Bangalore blinks for hour to save earth - Apr 01, 2012
- Delhiites to switch off lights to save power Friday - Jul 31, 2009
- Vidya Balan pledges support for Earth Hour 2011 - Mar 22, 2011
- Delhiites to switch off lights during Earth Hour Saturday - Mar 26, 2010
- Mumbai turns off lights during Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: bses, commitments, delhi residents, distribution company, documentaries, documentary, dubai, electrical appliances, environment group, lakh, mw, New Delhi, observance, power distribution, responsible actions, rwa, smses, solidarity, sydney rome, welfare association