POSCO final decision in a week: Jairam RameshJanuary 24th, 2011 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) A final decision on granting green clearances for South Korean steelmaker POSCO’s steel mill in Orissa will be made by January-end, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said Monday. Ramesh was addressing media persons after a closed-door interaction with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
The environment ministry has put on hold the proposed POSCO project, citing violations of environment and forests laws by the company.
POSCO requires about 4,004 acres, mostly government land, for its project. Of the land earmarked, 2,900 acres is forest land. Thousands of villagers have been opposing the project, saying it will displace them from their homelands and ruin their betel leaf farms.
POSCO and the state government, however, maintain that the project will bring prosperity and employment to the impoverished region.
The minister also referred to the Lavasa lake city project near Pune. “The ministry is looking to reach amicable solution on Lavasa,” he said.
“We are trying to find a negotiated solution and trying to find a compromise. We don’t want to minimise the integrity of the environmental process. The environmental integrity has to be maintained,” he said.
Ramesh also said that he met the Lavasa officials recently.
“The officials mentioned to me that the project needs to go forward. Now we are trying to see how best the conditions could be fulfilled. Let us see what will happen,” he told reporters.
The environment ministry Nov 25 slapped a show-cause notice on the Lavasa Lake City project because it had allegedly failed to secure necessary environmental clearances before starting work on its 5,000-plus hectare project coming up in Mulshi sub-district of Pune district, around 200 km from Mumbai.
- Conditional nod to Posco project in Orissa (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Final decision on Posco by January end, says Jairam Ramesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Green tribunal scraps Posco's $12bn Odisha project (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Environment panel calls for cancelling clearance to POSCO - Nov 19, 2010
- Environmental panel seeks more information on POSCO - Nov 30, 2010
- Posco's $12 bn Orissa project gets conditional nod (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Conditional clearance to Posco hardly a relief: environmentalists - Jan 31, 2011
- Posco, industry welcome conditional nod to Orissa project - Jan 31, 2011
- Green tribunal scraps Posco's $12bn Odisha project (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Land acquisition for Posco to resume despite protest - May 08, 2011
- Environment panel to submit POSCO report Oct 11 - Sep 27, 2010
- Anti-Posco group slams Ramesh - Jun 12, 2011
- Anti-Posco agitators held, released - Jun 03, 2011
- Environment ministry asks Orissa to stop work on POSCO project - Aug 06, 2010
- Jairam seeks peaceful land acquisition for Posco - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: betel leaf, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, environment minister, environmental integrity, final decision, forest land, government land, hectare, homelands, indian chambers of commerce, jairam ramesh, jan 24, land thousands, lavasa, media persons, orissa, posco, steel mill, steelmaker