Poachers target peacocks in Uttar PradeshMarch 25th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, March 25 (IANS) Poachers in Uttar Pradesh appear to be now targeting the country’s national bird peacock. Nearly two-dozen peacocks have been found dead in mysterious circumstances over the past two weeks in the state.
Wildlife authorities are baffled over two recent cases of peacock deaths.
Close on the heels of last week’s “mysterious” death of 16 peacocks in a village in Bulandshahr district, seven peacocks were “found dead” in two neighbouring agricultural farms near Bakewar village of Etawah district Monday afternoon.
“We have got FIRs registered against the suspected poachers in the police stations concerned in both the cases,” UP’s Chief Wildlife Conservator D.S.S. Suman told IANS here Tuesday.
Suman did not rule out the possibility that the peacocks had been poisoned. “In Bulandshahr we discovered that the peacocks had died after feeding on the mango pods that were sprayed with pesticides and insecticides,” he said.
“However, in Etawah, there was prima facie reason to suspect poisoning as our officials found some corn lying around the dead peacocks in an area where there is no corn to be found at this time of the year.”
He said: “We are not taking these incidents lightly and will surely get to the root of these peacock deaths so that the guilty can be brought to book.”
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- More peacocks die of heat in Aravalli - Jun 12, 2012
- Bihar village dreams big for its peacocks! - May 15, 2012
- 30 peacocks die in Greater Noida - Aug 07, 2012
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- Nine peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Dec 10, 2011
- Toxic potatoes kill two children, five hospitalised - Mar 11, 2011
- Two held for killing tigress - Nov 19, 2011
- Mystery shrouds couple's death in police custody - Jun 08, 2012
- Blackened mouths, bloody nostrils...three jumbos poisoned - Feb 15, 2011
- Three bison found dead in Chhattisgarh - May 25, 2012
Tags: agricultural farms, conservator, deaths, insecticides, march 25, monday afternoon, mysterious circumstances, mysterious death, national bird, neighbouring, peacock, peacocks, pesticides, poachers, pods, police stations, state wildlife, suman, target, wildlife authorities