Poachers held with leopard skinFebruary 10th, 2011 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Lakhimpur Kheri (Uttar Pradesh), Feb 10 (IANS) Two poachers were arrested in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri district Thursday with a leopard skin, police said.The two were arrested from Sadar area following a joint operation by the district police and the forest department.
“The two have been involved in the illegal trade of wild animals’ skins, hides, antlers and other body parts for the last four-five years,” police inspector V.K. Mishra told reporters here, some 200 km from state capital Lucknow.
“They had their clients in Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh. We are yet to establish where the leopard was killed,” he added.
Killing a leopard is a serious offence as per the Indian Wildlife Act. Offenders can get three to seven years of rigorous imprisonment if proven guilty.
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 27, 2010
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 06, 2010
- Three arrested with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 18, 2010
- Two held with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 17, 2011
- Leopard's carcass found in Uttar Pradesh forest - Feb 21, 2011
- Two held with deer antlers in Chhattisgarh - Jan 11, 2012
- Woman gets five-year jail for trading in tiger parts - Apr 07, 2011
- Three poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 06, 2010
- Two arrested with tiger skins in Varanasi - Jun 11, 2011
- South Korean couple get three months jail for illegal entry - May 30, 2011
- Two arrested with deer skin - Apr 26, 2010
- Tiger poacher arrested in Uttarakhand - Nov 19, 2009
- Two arrested with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2010
- Poacher nabbed in Uttar Pradesh, leopard carcass seized - Dec 28, 2010
- Leopard cub found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: antlers, body parts, district police, forest department, illegal trade, indian wildlife, kheri district, madhya pradesh, mishra, offence, poachers, police inspector, rigorous imprisonment, seven years, skins, uttar pradesh, uttarakhand, wild animals, wildlife act