PETA takes RTI route to protest against AIIMSMarch 27th, 2009 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) Refusing to give up even after twice being denied police permission to protest outside the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), NGO People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has now filed a Right to Information (RTI) application to know the reason for the denials.
Dharmesh Solanki of PETA, who filed the RTI plea, said they were twice denied permission to stage an awareness campaign on animal cruelty outside AIIMS, and despite being in constant touch with the police, they were clueless as to why permission was denied.
“Late last year there was a report in the media about extreme maltreatment of animals in the central animal facility of AIIMS. In a bid to put pressure on the administration to release those animals, which have been languishing in the facility for years, we wanted to stage an awareness campaign in front of AIIMS,” Solanki said.
However, as they did got any response from the police, he said he had then filed the RTI plea to find out the reason.
A report published Oct 5, 2008, said that 68 monkeys, 90 rabbits, several sheep, guinea pigs and rats in the central animal facility of AIIMS were very ill but were not getting any attention. One of the monkeys had been in the facility for 19 years - when the Committee for Purpose of Control and Supervision on Experiments on Animals had recommended that no animal be kept for experimentation for more than three years.
PETA has also written to the Animal Welfare Board of India to ensure immediate rehabilitation of all those animals.
- PETA demands AIIMS release lab animals - Apr 28, 2011
- PETA to protest outside AIIMS for release of animals - Mar 04, 2011
- AIIMS improves animal care facilities - Jun 15, 2011
- Retire aging monkeys, Pamela Anderson urges AIIMS - Feb 19, 2011
- Retire old monkeys, urges Anderson; animals fine, says AIIMS (Lead) - Feb 19, 2011
- PETA organises 'Easter Protest' in Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- PETA 'monkeys' around to protest AIIMS animal facility - Jul 10, 2009
- RTI activist attacked in Gujarat, critical - Aug 23, 2011
- PETA complains against illegal animal tests in Punjab - Sep 17, 2009
- PETA wants a cow memorial in Illinois - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP MP's nephew arrested for role in Amit Jethwa murder case - Sep 07, 2010
- Slain RTI activist's father wants action against MP - Aug 01, 2011
- Policy to curb illegal mining soon, Gujarat tells court - Oct 18, 2010
- Using RTI difficult for us, says Indians abroad - Jan 16, 2011
- PETA protests small tanks for marine animals in zoos - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: 19 years, aiims new delhi, all india institute of medical sciences, animal cruelty, animal welfare board, awareness campaign, central animal facility, constant touch, denials, ethical treatment of animals, experiments on animals, guinea pigs, india institute, maltreatment, monkeys, oct 5, people for ethical treatment of animals, rabbits, solanki, treatment of animals