PETA activists want KFC boycottedJune 4th, 2009 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Alleging abusive treatment of chickens by Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) in India, animal rights group PETA Thursday distributed balloons urging customers to boycott the popular fast food chain.
Activists of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) dressed up as chickens and distributed balloons saying ‘Boycott KFC’ outside a Connaught Place outlet.
“Every chicken KFC serves has suffered a lifetime of torment and a painful death,” alleged Arkaprava Bhar, PETA’s KFC campaign coordinator.
According to PETA, KFC’s suppliers treat chicks cruelly by drugging them and breed them to grow so large that the chicken becomes crippled under its own weight. “The chickens’ throats and beaks are cut while still conscious, some are even scaled to death, which is an illegal treatment,” Bhar said.
In a statement, PETA India said they had written many letters asking KFC executives to stop the abuse but the pleas fell on deaf years.
In response to PETA’s protest, KFC issued a statement saying though they appreciate and understand the concerns regarding animal welfare highlighted by PETA, KFC is committed to the highest poultry welfare standards.
“Our suppliers meet all relevant national animal welfare legislation and industry standards. We do not own or operate any poultry farms, but purchase products from the highest quality producers who also supply other leading supermarkets and retailers, ” said KFC spokesperson Ashna Sridhar.
- Stop killing chickens, Madhavan urges KFC (Lead) - Oct 05, 2010
- R Madhavan Is Sweeping The PETA Poll - Dec 09, 2010
- PETA activists protest in Chandigarh - Apr 07, 2009
- Ban elephants in circus, says PETA - Sep 17, 2012
- PETA activists protest against KFC's cruel treatment of chickens - Jun 04, 2009
- PETA activists stage demo outside KFC outlet in southern India - Jun 12, 2008
- Pamela urges Indians to avoid leather products - Nov 18, 2010
- Rescued hens to feast at this Christmas Party! - Dec 13, 2010
- Animal rights group awards children's film - Jun 23, 2011
- 'Cows', 'sheep', 'pigs' lie in coffins to protest animal slaughter - Nov 07, 2009
- Animal welfare body protests at fast food outlet - Jun 12, 2008
- PETA to protest for passing new Animal Welfare Act - Dec 08, 2011
- Boycott animal circuses, urges Malaika (With Images) - Apr 26, 2010
- Dubai fast food chain comes to Delhi - Jan 31, 2012
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: abusive treatment, animal rights group, animal welfare legislation, beaks, campaign coordinator, chickens, connaught place, ethical treatment of animals, food chain, kentucky fried chicken, kentucky fried chicken kfc, national animal welfare, painful death, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta activists, poultry farms, quality producers, spokesperson, treatment of animals, welfare standards