‘People gung-ho about growth more dangerous than poachers’December 1st, 2010 - 12:09 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh Tuesday said that people “gung-ho about growth” pose a bigger threat to tiger conservation than poachers”.
“It is easy to deal with the poachers because we can put them behind bars but we cannot do anything about people who go gung-ho about growth because they are the movers and shakers of our society,” Ramesh said at a press conference at the US embassy here.
US ambassador Timothy J. Roemer hosted a reception to highlight the collaboration between US and India to protect tigers in the country.
“The US and India are working together to preserve and protect the tiger, an iconic symbol of India and one of India’s most precious resources. I applaud the work that our two governments continue to do. I want the people of India to know that the US stands ready to do even more to ensure that the tiger population in India will flourish and thrive for generations to come,” Roemer said.
He said US support for tiger conservation efforts in India totalled over $1 million in the past five years and about $300,000 in 2009. The two countries cooperate in training for anti-poaching activities, studies on tiger populations and capacity development for eco-tourism entrepreneurs.
- India to help replicate Project Tiger in Russia, China - May 27, 2012
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- E-eye to keep a tab on tigers in Corbett - Apr 23, 2012
- 32 tiger deaths so far in 2012 - May 15, 2012
- Chinese arrested after 17 years for murder - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Gandhigiri' to protect tigers in Maharashtra (With Images) - Jul 01, 2012
- Women's car rally to focus on breast cancer, tigers - Sep 23, 2011
- Number of tigers dwindling: Ramesh - Mar 18, 2011
- Students campaign to save tigers in Coimbatore - Dec 17, 2010
- Six poachers arrested from Jim Corbett National Park in Rampur - Feb 16, 2011
- Panther poaching in Sariska has Rajasthan worried, probe ordered - Mar 09, 2012
- Maoists , poachers behind decrease in tiger numbers in Jharkhand : Forest officials - Feb 16, 2011
- Indian-American jeweller pleads guilty to illegal ivory sales? - Jul 13, 2012
- Ramesh promises rigid monitoring of tigers at all reserves - Apr 15, 2010
- Three arrested with tiger skins in Chhattisgarh - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 1 million, ambassador, collaboration, conservation efforts, forests, generations, governments, India, jairam ramesh, movers and shakers, New Delhi, poachers, precious resources, roemer, tiger, tiger conservation, tiger population, tiger populations, tigers, us embassy