People flee homes as floodwater enters Bihar villagesJuly 14th, 2010 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 14 (IANS) Thousands of people in Bihar fled their homes Wednesday as floodwaters entered over 100 villages and threatened to inundate many others.
Nearly 100 villages in Aurai, Katra and Gaighat blocks of Muzaffarpur have been inundated since Monday. Water also entered dozens of villages in Bagaha district after levels rose in all the major rivers following heavy rains in the state and the catchment areas of Nepal.
According to the Central Water Commission, the water level in major rivers - Kosi, Gandak, Budhi Gandak, Kamlabalan, Adhwara and Bagmati - has increased in the last 48 hours.
“All the rivers are in full spate following heavy rains. Some rivers may cross the red mark late Wednesday or Thursday,” an official said.
Reports reaching here said people were fleeing their homes in Muzaffarpur, Bagaha, Saharsa and Purnea districts.
“Heavy rains reportedly damaged embankments in Muzaffarpur and Bagaha. The district officials have initiated the move to check erosion,” said an official of the water resources department.
More water is expected to enter the villages as the embankment of the Bagmati river in Muzaffarpur and the Gandak in Bagaha have been threatened. The rising water level in rivers is putting pressure on embankments.
“All engineers have been directed to be ready with necessary equipment and boulders to face any situation and to protect the embankments,” an engineer said.
In 2008, more than three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the Kosi river breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course. It was said to be the worst flood in Bihar in the last 50 years.
- People flee homes as floodwaters enter 200 Bihar villages - Aug 25, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Over 100 villages flooded in Bihar as river breaches embankment - Aug 01, 2009
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Nearly 200 villages flooded in Bihar as river breaches embankment (Lead) - Aug 01, 2009
- Thousands homeless in Bihar due to floods - Aug 02, 2009
- Bihar flood hits over 200,000, rescue work intensified - Aug 03, 2009
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: bagmati river, budhi, catchment areas, central water, district officials, embankment, embankments, flood in bihar, floodwater, floodwaters, heavy rains, katra, kosi river, muzaffarpur, necessary equipment, purnea, rising water, water commission, water level, water resources department