Penguins killed by foxes in London ZooOctober 16th, 2010 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 16 (IANS) Penguins and some other animals were killed by foxes in London Zoo, a media report said Saturday.
A probe report showed that 11 South African and rockhopper penguins were killed in a fox attack last year, telegraph.co.uk reported.
The zoo in London’s Regent’s Park now has 41 penguins.
Other victims since January 2007 included a flamingo, two South American mara, a kind of rodent that resembles small kangaroos, and a free-range chicken.
The report found that enclosures were inadequate for the long-term keeping of tigers. The low fencing could allow animals to escape into Regent’s Park and snakes have escaped into public areas.
The attack on the penguins is believed to have happened at around dawn March 18, 2009, between the end of security guards’ night-time inspections and the arrival of day staff.
“An investigation into that (the penguin) incident established that the fence surrounding the penguin pool was damaged and not reported to ZSL (Zoological Society London).”
The revelations are certain to reignite the row over urban fox numbers which was sparked earlier this year by reports that two baby girls were attacked in their home by a fox.
Over the past 70 years, Britain’s urban fox population has grown to more than 34,000 and they now account for 14 percent of the country’s total fox numbers.
- Foxes Kill Penguins at London Zoo - Oct 17, 2010
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Wolves kill wildlife park worker - Jun 18, 2012
- Man eaten alive in tiger enclosure - Jul 11, 2012
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Premiere Of The Infamous Orphaned Grizzlies Takes Place At A Zoo In Montana - Dec 21, 2010
- Tiger mauls zookeeper in Chile - Jul 31, 2012
- Wildlife under unprecedented threat from natural disasters - Dec 23, 2011
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
- Britons fined in Australia for stealing penguin - May 03, 2012
- Polar bear dies from zebra virus - Aug 18, 2012
- Orphaned grizzlies sent to the Montana zoo - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: baby girls, flamingo, fox numbers, fox population, foxes, free range chicken, london zoo, night time, penguin pool, penguins, public areas, report showed that, rockhopper penguins, rodent, s park, security guards, small kangaroos, urban fox, zoo london, zoological society london