‘Peepli Live’ team to praise Narmada Dam projectJanuary 8th, 2011 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 8 (IANS) The group which sang “Mahangayi Dayan Khaye Jaat Hai…” in Oscar-nominated film “Peepli Live” would sing for the Narmada Valley Development Authority and praise the Narmada Dam project, officials said Saturday.The Narmada Valley Development Authority handed over the lyrics specially prepared for Narmada Dam project to Gaya Pradas Prajapati, who wrote the famous song of “Peepli Live”.
The team that belongs to Badwai village, about 60 km from Bhopal, would sing the song in folk style. It has been penned by Adil Khan.
“We have already started working on the song,” Prajapati said.
The Narmada Valley Project is a large hydraulic engineering project involving the construction of a series of large irrigation and hydroelectric multi-purpose dams on Narmada river. The project started in 1979 as part of a development scheme to increase irrigation and produce hydroelectricity.
But the dam is one of India’s most controversial dam project and its environmental impact and net costs and benefits are widely debated.
“Narmada Valley Development Authority is trying to make every native of Narmada Valley feel that Narmada is their own. And if they would listen to the song in their own dialect, they can connect themselves with it,” Narmada Valley Development Authority additional chief secretary O.P. Rawat told IANS.
- Madhya Pradesh to drum up support for Narmada project - Dec 05, 2010
- Apex court rejects plea for dam oustees' relief - Jul 27, 2011
- Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in Kutch - Apr 09, 2011
- Citizens' group opposes sub-panel on Tipaimukh dam - Aug 30, 2012
- Earthquake casts doubt over Chinese hydropower project - Mar 12, 2011
- Chinese officials meet Zardari on power project - Jun 04, 2011
- Abu Dhabi to give $19 mn for Mali dam project - Nov 30, 2010
- Apex court suspends order on relief to Narmada dam displaced - Nov 20, 2009
- Pakistan launches 4,500 MW dam project - Oct 19, 2011
- US gives aid for hydroelectric dams in Pakistan - Aug 20, 2011
- Gujarat, Rajasthan cops slapped with Prajapati murder case - Apr 29, 2011
- A song and a story: Changing music of modern India (June 21 is World Music Day) - Jun 18, 2011
- Nepal Maoists to launch anti-dam stir - Jun 10, 2010
- "Green" energy boom destroys tribes: New report - Aug 09, 2010
- Gogoi assures adequate security for power project - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: adil khan, chief secretary, controversial dam project, dams, dayan, development scheme, dialect, engineering project, environmental impact, folk style, hydraulic engineering, hydroelectricity, irrigation, multi purpose, narmada dam project, narmada river, narmada valley project, prajapati, project officials, rawat