Panjab, Haryana face fog chaosDecember 27th, 2010 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 27 (IANS) A thick blanket of fog engulfed most parts of Punjab and Haryana Monday, disrupting both rail and road traffic. Met officials have predicted similar conditions to prevail in this region in the coming days.The fog enveloped different cities like Ambala, Bhiwani, Karnal, Hisar, Rohtak, Patiala, Ludhiana and Amritsar.
“We expect foggy conditions to continue during early mornings and late evenings in the next couple of days. The fog brought down visibility level, reducing road traffic movement to a snail’s pace at various places. Trains were also running late,” a weather official said Monday.
He added that the cold waves sweeping most parts of Punjab and Haryana Monday brought down the mercury level below the normal.
In a fog-related accident, three members of a family were killed when their car collided with a truck due to poor visibility on the Hisar-Delhi national highway Sunday evening.
Haryana’s Narnaul city was coldest in the region with a minimum temperature of 1.5 degrees Celsius - five degrees below normal.
Ambala recorded 3 degrees, four notches below average, whereas Hisar saw 4.8, one degree below normal.
Chandigarh, the joint capital of Punjab and Haryana, recorded a minimum temperature of 5.3 degrees Celsius, one degree less than the normal.
In Punjab, Amritsar was the coldest Monday at 2.4 degrees Celsius, two notches below normal, while Ludhiana and Patiala registered 2.6 and 4.5 degrees, respectively.
- Dense fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 10, 2011
- Thick fog engulfs Punjab, Haryana - Jan 20, 2012
- Fog returns in Chandigarh, mercury below normal - Jan 12, 2011
- Cold wave sweeps across Haryana, Punjab - Jan 03, 2011
- Fog, overcast skies in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 28, 2010
- Air, rail, road traffic hit in Punjab, Haryana - Jan 06, 2011
- Amritsar coldest at 2.5 degrees, cold wave sweeps Punjab - Dec 25, 2010
- Dense fog hits hard Delhi, north India (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010
- Mercury dips again in Punjab and Haryana - Feb 14, 2012
- Chandigarh welcomes bright sun, chill remains - Jan 11, 2011
- Sun shines over Chandigarh, flights may resume - Jan 07, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out - Jan 05, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana fogged out, no flights from Chandigarh (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Dense fog in Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh - Dec 29, 2010
- Amritsar feels the chill at 2.4 degrees - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: capital of punjab, cold waves, couple of days, early mornings, evenings, five degrees, fog, foggy conditions, karnal, ludhiana, mercury level, minimum temperature, narnaul, notches, poor visibility, road traffic, saw 4, sunday evening, thick blanket, traffic movement