Overcast sky brings relief (All India weather report)May 10th, 2008 - 9:12 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) People Saturday heaved a sigh of relief from the sizzling sun as thunderstorms and an overcast sky in most parts of the country have brought the temperatures down. In northwest and central India, the mercury remained below normal due to the sporadic duststorms and thunderstorms.
The meteorological department has forecast same weather conditions in these areas till Tuesday.
In the capital, the maximum temperature was 37.8 degrees Celsius, two below normal, and the minimum of 26.5 degrees Celsius, two above normal.
People in the eastern and northeastern India will continue to enjoy the welcome rains which helped to subdue the blistering sun.
The met department said the southwest monsoon has set in over parts of southeast Bay of Bengal, Nicobar Islands and Andaman Sea and is expected to advance to other areas.
Bihar, Orissa, north Andhra Pradesh, parts of eastern and northeastern India will receive scattered rains and thundershowers till Monday.
Rain or thundershowers are also expected in many places in Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh during this period, although the weather would remain dry in other parts of the country.
Tamil Nadu, south interior Karnataka, coastal Andhra Pradesh, Lakshadweep Islands and Andaman and Nicobar Islands will receive rain and thundershowers till Tuesday.
Isolated squalls are expected in Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, West Bengal and Sikkim and coastal Orissa Sunday and Monday.
The following were the maximum and minimum temperatures and rainfall figure in major cities for the 24 hours till Saturday evening, with figures in brackets denoting deviations from the average.
City Maximum Temperature (C) Minimum Temperature (C) Rainfall (mm)
Delhi 37.8 (-2) 26.5 (+2) Nil
Mumbai 33.0 (0) 27.5 (1) TRACE
Chennai 39.2 (+3) 27.9 (+1) Nil
Kolkata 36.7 (+1) 27.7 (+2) Nil
Ahmedabad 38.2 (-3) 26.8 (+1) Nil
Bangalore 32.7 (0) 21.2 (+1) Nil
Bhopal 38.4 (-3) 23.9 (-1) Nil
Bhubaneshwar 37.0 (-1) 27.5 (+1) TRACE
Chandigarh 36.1 (-2) 19.8 (-2) 2.0
Dehradun 33.4 (-2) 21.1 (+1) Nil
Panaji 34.6 (+2) 25.8 (-1) Nil
Guwahati 33.8 (+3) 24.1 (+2) Nil
Hyderabad 40.8 (+2) 26.2 (0) Nil
Jaipur 37.2 (-3) 22.6 (-2) Nil
Lucknow 38.6 (-2) 23.4 (-1) Nil
Nagpur 42.5 (0) 28.1 (0) Nil
Patna 39.4 (0) 26.2 (+1) Nil
Pune 36.2 (-2) 21.9 (0) Nil
Srinagar 24.6 (+3) 11.2 (+1) 1.6
Thiruvananthapuram 33.1 (+1) 25.3 (0) Nil
- Thundershowers lash Delhi, more rain predicted (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Rain cools Delhi, more showers predicted (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Steamy Monday in Delhi as rains stay away again (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Humid, cloudy Sunday in Delhi; rains likely Monday (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Rain in Delhi, more likely - Sep 04, 2012
- National Games: Services top medal tally with 37 golds - Feb 20, 2011
- Rains bring down mercury in Delhi, more likely (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Rain eludes Delhi Sunday, 43 percent deficit so far (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- National Games: Services continue to head medal tally - Feb 25, 2011
- Scattered rainfall brings relief (All India weather report) - May 13, 2008
- Sunny morning in Delhi, cloudy day ahead - Aug 05, 2011
- Cloudy, hot Tuesday in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, mercury to rise Monday (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, chances of rain - Apr 11, 2012
- Light rain in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, andaman sea, bay of bengal, central india, coastal orissa, duststorms, himachal pradesh, india weather report, jammu and kashmir, lakshadweep islands, minimum temperatures, northeastern india, overcast sky, rainfall mm, south interior, southeast bay, southwest monsoon, welcome rains, west bengal