Over 4,000 cities to turn off lights during Earth HourMarch 25th, 2011 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Over 4,000 cities - including New Delhi and Mumbai - from 131 countries will turn off their lights during the global Earth Hour event Saturday, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) said Friday.
Earth Hour is organised annually on the last Saturday of March by the WWF.
“Earth Hour is your chance to vote for Earth by shutting down your lights between 8.30 p.m. and 9.30 p.m. your local time,” the WWF website read.
The origin of the campaign can be traced back to Australia in 2007 when businesses and residents in Sydney turned off their lights for one hour to make a statement about energy use and global warming.
Moscow, Geneva, Budapest, Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Helsinki, Oslo, Madrid, Paris, London, Amsterdam and Vienna are some European cities that will turn off in the name of sustainability all non-essential lights.
In Asia, cities like Bangkok, Singapore, Mumbai, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Seoul, New Delhi, Auckland and Shanghai will support the WWF initiative.
In North America, Toronto, Vancouver, New York and Chicago are among those that will go dark. In the South, cities including Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Valparaiso will take part.
Even the Davis research station in Antarctica will turn off its lights.
“This year Earth Hour asks people to commit to the event, big or small, for the coming year, taking Earth Hour beyond the hour,” said Andy Ridley, co-founder and executive director of Earth Hour.
Cities participating in the global initiative will not just switch off their electricity, but will also plant greenery and install LED street lamps.
- Earth Hour in Moscow saves 2,400 kWh - Apr 01, 2012
- Moscow hotels most expensive in Europe - Mar 24, 2012
- UN to observe Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Three teenagers found dead in Moscow garage - Nov 28, 2011
- Bangladesh to observe Earth Hour - Mar 29, 2012
- Earth Hour a phenomenon in cyber space - Mar 24, 2011
- Medvedev congratulates British royal couple - Apr 29, 2011
- Russia sends food aid to Libya - Jul 26, 2011
- Man asks Kremlin for salary arrears, detained - Jul 13, 2011
- Russia asks Ukraine to extradite Putin plot suspect - Mar 01, 2012
- Taj group to take steps beyond Earth hour - Mar 25, 2011
- B-town celebs urge people to support Earth Hour - Mar 31, 2012
- Group of Russian brokers arrested in $3.2 bn scam - Nov 28, 2011
- Gunshot kills Russian government official - Dec 29, 2011
- Russia to hold parliamentary elections Dec 4 - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: asia cities, buenos aires, chi minh city, energy use, european cities, global earth, global initiative, greenery, ho chi minh, ho chi minh city, last saturday, madrid paris, nature wwf, paris london, ria novosti, ridley, rio de janeiro, south cities, street lamps, wwf initiative