Over 1,200 firefighters battle New Mexico’s largest ever wildfireJune 4th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Mexico, June 4 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The biggest ever wildfire in New Mexico’s history continued to burn last Saturday in the Gila National Forest. The fire, which was generated after lightning strikes ignited a series of fires.
Approximately 1,257 fire-fighting personnel have been tackling the conflagration. The fires were enhanced by the drought experienced in the area and by high sustained winds of 40 mph to 50 mph.
Numerous residents have been evacuated, according to the emergency services. Children, individuals suffering from heart disorders and other risk groups have been recommended to stay indoors as much as possible to avoid inhaling the smoke produced by this massive and devastating wildfire. Extreme precaution is advised to all nearby residents.
Designated as part of the world’s first wilderness area in 1924, the Gila National Forest is home to numerous animal species, including a number of protected game birds and predators.
Experts consider that Saturday’s 227,000-acre blaze will affect the area and change the Gila Wilderness forever. It has been estimated that the overall area affected by the blaze is more than one and a half times larger than a city of the size of Chicago.
- Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homes - Sep 12, 2011
- Russia's Siberia region hit by wildfires - Jul 30, 2012
- Forest fire in western Mexico burns over 8,000 acres - Apr 24, 2012
- Wildfire near US nuclear laboratory spreads - Jun 30, 2011
- Inferno In Newark Razes 2 Houses And Dents 5 Edifices - Aug 12, 2010
- Mumbai blaze guts three shopping plazas, three firemen hurt - Nov 26, 2011
- Canary Islands fire threatens heritage site - Aug 07, 2012
- Canada Fire Spreads Alarm In Neighboring US States - Jun 01, 2010
- Temecula Fire Destroys 12 Structures - Sep 20, 2009
- Texas battles new wildfires as extreme drought continues - Sep 02, 2011
- Four killed in Mumbai bakery cylinder blasts - May 30, 2012
- 22 killed in China wildfire (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Firefighters try to contain Arizona wildfire - Jun 07, 2011
- Queensland declares emergency following wildfire scare - Oct 19, 2009
- 8 Individuals Missing On Account Of A Wildfire In Colorado - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: acre blaze, animal species, conflagration, drought, emergency services, firefighters, game birds, gila national forest, gila wilderness, half times, heart disorders, last saturday, nearby residents, new mexico, precaution, predators, risk groups, sustained winds, wilderness area, wildfire