Orissa sounds cyclone alertMay 25th, 2009 - 12:17 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 24 (IANS) Orissa Sunday alerted its ports and coastal residents after a deep depression over the Bay of Bengal intensified into a cyclone and could result in heavy rain in the state.
“The deep depression over west-central and adjoining east-central and north-west Bay of Bengal has moved northwards, and intensified into a cyclonic storm,” the Bhubaneswar meteorological office here said in a release.
The system lay centred at about 300 km east-south-east of the port town of Paradip, it said adding that it is likely to intensify further and move in a near northerly direction and cross the West Bengal-Bangladesh coast around Monday afternoon or evening, it said.
Under its influence, heavy to very heavy rain likely at a few places, with extremely heavy rain over the coastal districts of Orissa during next 48 hours, it said.
The Local Cautionary Signal Number-three (LC-III) has been hoisted at the Gopalpur, Puri, Paradeep and Chandbali ports, the met office said.
Strong winds with a speed of around 70 km per hour are likely to prevail along and off the Orissa coast. Sea condition will be rough to very rough and fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea, it said.
It may cause damage to thatched huts, uproot trees over coastal districts of north Orissa, it said.
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
- Cyclone Bijli alert along Orissa coast - Apr 16, 2009
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Storm alert sounded in coastal Orissa - May 24, 2009
- Andhra escapes rain fury as depression moves to Orissa - Oct 08, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Orissa lowers alert as cyclone crosses Myanmar coast - Oct 23, 2010
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
Tags: bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, coastal districts, coastal residents, cyclone, cyclonic storm, fishermen, gopalpur, heavy rain, lc iii, meteorological office, monday afternoon, northerly direction, orissa coast, paradip, sea condition, signal number, strong winds, thatched huts, west bengal