Orissa raises cyclone warningMay 25th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) Orissa Monday raised the storm warning levels along its ports and alerted coastal residents as a cyclone formed in the Bay of Bengal. Fishermen have been asked not to go out to sea.
“The danger signal number has been raised to seven and five at Chandbali and at Paradip ports,” D.C. Jena, an official of the meteorological centre here, told IANS.
Cyclone Aila lay centred about 140 km east of Paradip, he said.
The system is likely to intensify further and move in a northerly direction and cross the West Bengal coast later Monday, the official added.
Under its influence, gale winds of speed reaching 70-80 kmph are likely to occur along and off the coast, he said. It may increase in the afternoon to 90-100 kmph and may cause damage to thatched huts, uproot trees over coastal districts of north Orissa.
Several partS of the coastal districts have been witnessing moderate to heavy rain during the past 24 hours.
The state government Monday said all fishing operations in the sea have been suspended and fishermen have been alerted not to venture out to sea.
“We have alerted all officials in the coastal districts to remain prepared to tackle any situation,” state revenue secretary G.V.V. Sarma told IANS.
- Tidal waves lash Orissa coast, no deaths reported (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Aila' likely to hit West Bengal - May 25, 2009
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: aila, bay of bengal, coastal districts, coastal residents, cyclone, danger signal, fishermen, gale winds, heavy rain, kmph, meteorological centre, northerly direction, orissa, revenue secretary, sarma, signal number, state revenue, storm warning, thatched huts, west bengal