Orissa on storm alertJune 16th, 2008 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 16 (IANS) Orissa Monday issued a storm warning in all coastal districts and put its four ports on alert, officials said. K.N. Behra, director-in-charge of the meteorological department here, told IANS that a low pressure area that formed over the northwest region of the Bay of Bengal Sunday had now concentrated into a depression, which is centred about 300 km east of Balasore.
“The system is likely to move in a north westerly direction and cross the Bangladesh coast by Monday night,” he said.
Under its influence, rain or thundershowers are likely in north and south Orissa. Squalls and wind from the westerly direction with 45-65 kmph speed are expected along the Orissa coast.
Behra said the sea will be rough and fishermen have been advised not to venture into the water. Local cautionary signal number three (LC-III) has been hoisted in the four ports of the state.
An official in the special relief commissioner’s office said the government has asked the collectors of all coastal districts to remain alert and not leave their head quarters.
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Cyclone Bijli alert along Orissa coast - Apr 16, 2009
- Orissa alerts coastal districts as cyclone 'Bijli' approaches - Apr 16, 2009
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Deep depression crosses Orissa coast (Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: balasore, bangladesh, bay of bengal, coastal districts, depression, fishermen, head quarters, lc iii, meteorological department, monday night, northwest region, orissa coast, ports, rain, signal number, squalls, storm alert, storm warning, thundershowers, westerly direction