Orissa flood toll 20September 14th, 2011 - 12:48 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 13 (IANS) The death toll from floods that have so far affected more than two million people in Orissa over the past week rose to 20 Tuesday, officials said.
Out of the latest deaths, two were reported from the coastal district of Kendrapada and one from Jajpur district, an official of the state flood control room told IANS. “They drowned in the flood waters,” he said.
Nine people were swept away or drowned in flood waters in different places but their bodies have not yet been found, he said.
The floods triggered by heavy rains and release of excess water from Hirakud dam have so far affected 3,505 villages in 19 of the 30 districts. At least 24,429 houses have been damaged.
The authorities have deputed hundreds of health officials and doctors to areas where water has receded as they fear an outbreak of water-borne diseases, he said.
Four helicopters continued air-dropping food packets in the worst-hit districts of Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Cuttack, Boudh and Nayagarh, where many villages were flooded.
The control room official said 1,109 villages continued to be marooned and efforts were on to provide them food packets and other essentials from choppers. About 945 boats have been deployed to rescue and relief operation.
The official said the situation is likely to improve as the rain has stopped and the flood waters were receding fast. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik reviewed the situation in a meeting here and said efforts were on to reach the victims in trouble.
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Death toll in Orissa flood rises to 22 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa floods: Six die, toll rises to 32 - Sep 16, 2011
- Four more die in Orissa floods, toll at 26 - Sep 15, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Relief efforts intensified as Orissa floods worsen - Sep 25, 2011
- Orissa flood situation continues to be grim - Sep 27, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Governor asks Orissa to probe dam 'mismanagement' - Oct 05, 2011
- 16 killed in Orissa floods - Sep 11, 2011
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
- Orissa flash floods toll 36, hundreds rescued - Jul 20, 2009
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa floods: A man-made disaster? - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: boats, chief minister, choppers, coastal district, death toll, deaths, different places, excess water, flood control, flood toll, flood waters, floods, food packets, health officials, heavy rains, helicopters, orissa flood, outbreak, two million, water borne diseases