Orissa alerts fishermen of cyclonic stormApril 28th, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, April 28 (IANS) Orissa Monday alerted its fishermen and advised them not to venture into the sea as a deep depression formed over the Bay of Bengal had intensified into a cyclonic storm, officials said. Latest satellite imageries indicate that the deep depression over the southeast and southwest Bay of Bengal moved northwestwards and intensified into cyclonic storm Nargis, A. Das of the Bhubaneswar meteorological office told IANS.
It lay centred at 5.30 a.m. over the southwest, southeast and west-central Bay of Bengal at about 700 km south of Gopalpur in Ganjam district.
The system is likely to intensify further and move in a northwesterly direction slowly for some time. Thereafter, it is likely to re-curve and move northeastwards, he said.
Under its impact rain or thundershower is likely to occur at a few places in southern Orissa and isolated places in northern Orissa, he said.
Distant cautionary signal number one (DC-I) which was hoisted Sunday has been replaced by distant warning signal number two at the Paradeep and Gopalpur ports, he said.
Strong and gusty surface wind from the southwest with speed reaching 45 to 55 kilometre per hour is likely along and off the Orissa coast, the official said.
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 06, 2010
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Orissa alerts coastal districts as cyclone 'Bijli' approaches - Apr 16, 2009
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Orissa lowers alert as cyclone crosses Myanmar coast - Oct 23, 2010
- Cyclone Bijli alert along Orissa coast - Apr 16, 2009
- Storm warning in Orissa - May 18, 2010
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, curve, depression, distant warning, fishermen, ganjam district, gopalpur, kilometre, meteorological office, northwesterly direction, orissa coast, ports, rain, satellite, signal number, southern orissa, southwest bay, surface wind, warning signal