Orissa alerts coastal districts as cyclone ‘Bijli’ approachesApril 16th, 2009 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 16 (IANS) The Orissa government Thursday alerted collectors of all coastal districts to remain alert as a severe storm formed in the Bay of Bengal may intensify and hit the state, officials said.
“We have alerted the collectors of all coastal districts,” Additional Special Relief Commissioner B. Baral told IANS.
According to the meteorological office here the cyclonic storm ‘Bijli’ formed over the central and adjoining southeast Bay of Bengal has now moved in the north-westerly direction.
It is now lying centred over west-central Bay of Bengal at about 330 km south-south-east of Gopalpur.
The system is likely to intensify further and move in a north-north-westerly direction further for some more time.
As a result of which gale force winds speed reaching 60-70 kmph gusting to 80 kmph are likely to prevail along and off Orissa coast during the next 48 hours, the met office said.
Baral said, local cautionary signal number three have been kept hoisted in four ports at Gopalpur, Puri, Paradeep and Chandbali and fishermen were asked not to venture into the sea.
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Cyclone Bijli alert along Orissa coast - Apr 16, 2009
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 06, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Five evacuation teams deployed in Andhra - Nov 06, 2010
- Andhra calls in rescue teams as cyclone threat grows (Lead) - May 18, 2010
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: baral, bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, coastal districts, cyclone, cyclonic storm, fishermen, gale force winds, gopalpur, kmph, meteorological office, orissa coast, orissa government, ports, signal number, southeast bay, state officials, westerly direction