Orangutan aborts ingenious escape planMay 10th, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, May 10 (DPA) An audacious break-out attempt Sunday at a zoo in Australia saw a 27-year-old female orangutan called Karta disable an electric fence and use a makeshift ladder for her escape, before aborting the attempt.
Adelaide Zoo curator Peter Whitehead said Karta had used a stick to short-circuit the electric fence and piled up branches and other objects in her pen to climb to within metres of visitors.
“You’re talking about an animal that’s highly intelligent,” Whitehead told reporters.
“We’ve had issues with her before in normal day-to-day operations where she tries to outsmart the keepers.”
The 62-kg Karta came so close to escaping her enclosure that visitors had to be ushered out and the zoo closed until she was returned to captivity.
Veterinary staff armed with tranquilizer guns were at the ready but Karta aborted the escape herself.
“I think when she actually got out and realised where she was… she realised she shouldn’t be there, so then she actually hung onto the wall and dropped back into the exhibit,” Whitehead said.
“She’s an ingenious animal.”
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Sitarist Anoushka Shankar asks people to boycott zoos - May 05, 2011
- Bull Goes on the Run at Edinburgh Zoo - Sep 04, 2012
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
- Orphaned grizzlies sent to the Montana zoo - Dec 21, 2010
- Orangutans in zoos enjoy watching visitors too - Jun 08, 2010
- Chimpanzee asks people to free him at Wales Zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Peacock escapes from Central Park zoo - Aug 03, 2011
- Zoo not right place for animals, says Anoushka Shankar (With Image) - May 05, 2011
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Tiger kills gardener at Vietnam zoo - Sep 11, 2009
- PETA calls for safety measures for animals, visitors in zoos - Jul 27, 2009