One killed, many injured in Honduras earthquake (Lead)May 28th, 2009 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, May 28 (DPA) At least one person was killed and scores of others were injured when a 7.1-magnitude quake hit Honduras early Thursday, radio reports said.
A 15-year-old boy died when his house collapsed in La Lima 265 km north of the capital Tegucigalpa, the police said, adding that several people were also injured in San Pedro Sula in the north.
The quake, which measured at least 7.1 points, was followed by several aftershocks.
Following the quake, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning in the Caribbean comprising Honduras, Belize, Guatemala and other Caribbean areas except for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
However, only government agencies had the authority to take decisions on official alerts, the centre said.
The 30-second quake was caused by a collision between the Caribbean and North American plates, said seismography expert Gonzalo Cruz from the Honduras National Autonomous University.
US seismology officials said the quake struck at a depth of 10 km and some 320 km northeast of the capital Tegucigalpa.
- Damage reported after magnitude-7.6 earthquake hits Costa Rica - Sep 05, 2012
- 20 dead in Honduras prison fight - Mar 30, 2012
- Helicopter crash during Honduran air show kills pilot, injures 6-year-old boy - Sep 19, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Mexico's Pacific coast, no damage - May 02, 2012
- Honduras quake prompts tsunami alert - May 28, 2009
- Toll in storm Agatha rises to 100 (Third Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Tropical depression forms in the western Caribbean Sea, heads for Honduras - Aug 19, 2011
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- New Zealand's Kermadec Islands struck by massive quakes - Jul 07, 2011
- Radio host murdered in Honduras - Aug 26, 2010
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Gang kills 17 in shoemaking workshop in Honduras - Sep 08, 2010
- TV reporter shot at in Honduras - Oct 31, 2011
- Devastating earthquake in Chile kills dozens, sparks tsunami warnings for dozens of countries - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, american plates, belize guatemala, caribbean areas, decisions, dpa, earthquake, government agencies, honduras, magnitude quake, national autonomous university, pacific tsunami warning, pacific tsunami warning centre, puerto rico, radio reports, san pedro sula, tegucigalpa, tsunami, tsunami warning centre, virgin islands