NOAA: June was the warmest month since 1880July 19th, 2010 - 11:57 pm ICT by BNO News
WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) – The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) announced on Monday that June’s worldwide averaged land surface temperature was the warmest on record since 1880.
During last June, warmer-than-average conditions dominated the planet with the most prominent heat present in Mexico, northern Africa, and most of Europe, Asia, South America, and the contiguous U.S. The world land surface temperature of June was the warmest on record surpassing the one set in June 2005.
The anomalous warm conditions that affected large portions of each inhabited continent also contributed to the warmest June worldwide land and ocean surface temperatures since 1880, when the records began.
June was the fourth consecutive month with reported warmest averaged global land and ocean temperature on record joining March, April, May. During the four-month period, the combined global land and ocean surface temperature ranked as the warmest on record.
The NOAA’s report also showed that for the first half of the year anomalous warm temperatures were present over much of the world. The combined average land and ocean surface temperature for the January-June period was also the second warmest on record, above the 20th century average but behind 2007.
As a side effect of the increased warmth in June, arctic ice continued its annual decline. Starting in May, the arctic sea ice extent was 10.6 percent or 1.29 million square kilometers below the 1979-2000 average.
- Global temperatures in 2010 warmest on record - Jul 16, 2010
- World on course for hottest year since 1880 - Jul 21, 2010
- World experiences fourth warmest June on record - Jul 18, 2012
- Global temperatures make March the warmest on record - Apr 21, 2010
- 2010 tied for warmest year on record - Jan 13, 2011
- US marks warmest March on record - Apr 10, 2012
- 2010 warmest year on record: UN weather agency - Jan 21, 2011
- 2010 - one of the two warmest years on record - Jul 01, 2011
- 2011 - 9th warmest year on record, says NASA - Jan 21, 2012
- Top 10 global weather events in 2010 - Jan 14, 2011
- Arctic Ocean water is 'warmest it's been for more than 2,000 years' - Feb 01, 2011
- Stripping air of CO2 may become unavoidable - Jul 25, 2012
- Last decade warmest on record - Jan 22, 2010
- This February was the Earth's ninth warmest since 1880 - Mar 16, 2009
- Climate change strips Arctic of much snow cover - May 05, 2011
Tags: 20th century, arctic ice, arctic sea ice, bno, continent, decline, europe asia, global land, land surface temperature, national oceanic and atmospheric administration, noaa, northern africa, ocean surface temperature, ocean surface temperatures, ocean temperature, sea ice extent, south america, square kilometers, warm temperatures, warmth