No Panjab University hostel for freshers using carsNovember 25th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 25 (IANS) Freshers wanting hostel room in the Panjab University here will have to give up the comfort of their cars. Pitching in for eco-friendly bicycles, the university administration has decided new students with cars will not be given accommodation on the sprawling campus.
Panjab University (PU) Vice-Chancellor R.C. Sobti said here Thursday that the university was set to become a role model in checking environmental degradation through complete pollution control.
Pointing out that the campus was smoke free already, Sobti said: “To take a lead in checking air pollution, the university will encourage use of bicycles and hostel accommodation would not be provided to the first-year students of any class having cars.”
“The university has decided to give interest-free loans to all students and staff members who would like to buy bicycles,” the vice-chancellor added.
However, not everyone was impressed with the move. Some students termed it “impractical”.
“Students will claim while applying for hostel that they do not have cars and later make excuses that the vehicle belongs to a friend or someone else. Who will keep a check on them on a daily basis?” asked final year student Abhishek.
PU faculty members added that the university had unsuccessfully tried similar steps in the past.
“In 2007, they did a drama by giving bicycles to senior university officials with great fanfare. That experiment failed and the cycles are now rusting away. Later, the VC banned all motor vehicles on the first Monday of every month by declaring PU as a no-vehicle zone. No one even talks of these things now,” a senior faculty member, requesting anonymity, said.
- To protest or not to protest - Panjab University debates - May 04, 2011
- Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continues - Feb 02, 2011
- Panjab University to hold 'Job Fair 2011' - Dec 21, 2010
- Panjab University students to evaluate their hostels - Oct 18, 2009
- Panjab University teacher resigns - Feb 17, 2011
- Panjab University struggles to declare exam results - Jul 01, 2010
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Girls outshine boys at Panjab University convocation - Feb 14, 2011
- Dental college strike over T-shirt tiff continues - Feb 03, 2011
- Panjab University teachers see red over campus showbiz - Jan 21, 2012
- Violence, crime and politics at Panjab University - Apr 15, 2010
- Ahead of student polls, war zone at Panjab University - Sep 01, 2011
- Student unions march against fee hikes, fake admissions - Mar 21, 2012
- PU to let students see answer-sheets after evaluation - Oct 28, 2009
- Dental college students call off stir as principal removed (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
Tags: air pollution, anonymity, bicycles, daily basis, environmental degradation, faculty member, faculty members, fanfare, first monday, hostel, interest free loans, motor vehicles, new students, panjab university, pollution control, r c sobti, role model, university administration, university officials, vice chancellor