Nine peacocks found dead in RajasthanDecember 10th, 2011 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Dec 10 (IANS) At least nine peacocks were found dead in Rajasthan Saturday, police said. A man was arrested after he was seen collecting the bird caracasses.
The man claimed he poisoned the peacocks for meat. Police are trying to verify his claim.
The dead peacocks were found Saturday morning in a farm land near Batavari village in Bundi district, some 200 km from here.
“The villagers saw a man collecting the carcasses of the peacocks. They thrashed him and then handed him over to us,” a police officer told IANS.
Laddu Lal, 28, had made the peacocks eat grains laced with poison. “He told us that he had killed the national birds for meat,” said the officer.
The accused has been booked under sections of Wildlife Protection Act, 1972. The carcasses of birds have been sent for post-mortem examination.
A recent survey by People for Animals, an NGO, showed that as many as 10 peacocks were being killed every day in Rajasthan.
- More peacocks found dead in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- 13 peacocks killed in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 09, 2011
- 18 peacock carcasses found, poisoning suspected - Mar 22, 2011
- Four arrested for poaching peacocks in Rajasthan - Jun 17, 2012
- Peacock Poacher arrested with three carcasses - Nov 24, 2010
- Man held with peacock carcasses in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2011
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- More peacocks die of heat in Aravalli - Jun 12, 2012
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- 8 peacocks succumb to heat stroke in Aravalli village - Jun 11, 2012
- Poachers held with peacock carcasses - Apr 08, 2010
- Two arrested for killing peacocks - Feb 11, 2011
- Peacocks found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 15, 2008
- Dalit youth found dead, family cries foul - Jun 26, 2011
- Land of Krishna protests ban on peacock feather trade - Jul 04, 2010