New dinosaur species found in ChinaMarch 20th, 2010 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 20 (IANS) Paleontoligists in China Saturday claimed to have found the skeleton of a new species of carnivorous dinosaur that believed to have lived about 80 million years ago.
Experts have found an intact and complete skeleton fossil of a previously undiscovered dinosaur species in north China, the team’s leading scientist Xu Xing said.
The species “Linheraptor exquisitus” is the latest among the Dromaeosauridae family of the carnivorous theropod dinosaurs found so far.
The fossil was one of the world’s most well-preserved specimen of small predator dinosaurs that lived about 80 million years ago during the late Cretaceous period, said Xu, a research fellow with the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
About 2.5-metre long and weighing 25 kg, the dinosaur would have been a fast and agile predator and, like other dromaeosaurids, possessed large “killing claws”.
Xu said the new species documents a transitional stage in dromaeosaurid evolution from original ones with long and thin hind limbs to developed ones that were comparatively stronger.
The new dinosaur was found in the rocks of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region by an international team which consisted of members from China, the US and Britain, Xinhua reported.
The region is known for the huge presence of dinosaur fossils buried in aeolian rocks formed by sandstorm, which the experts believe killed the dinosaurs, resulting in comparatively intact preservation.
- New terrifying dino species discovered in China - Mar 20, 2010
- Scientists identify long lost cousin of T. rex in China - Apr 01, 2011
- First parrot-sized dino with only one finger discovered in China - Jan 25, 2011
- Meet quaint hunchback dino from 130 mn years ago - Sep 10, 2010
- Fossils of bird-like dinosaurs discovered in Australia - May 18, 2012
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Feathered fossils found in China confirm that birds evolved from dinosaurs - Sep 25, 2009
- T-Rex's gigantic cousin located in China - Apr 01, 2011
- One-fingered dinosaur unearthed in China - Jan 25, 2011
- World's first humpback dinosaur discovered - Sep 09, 2010
- New dinosaur species found in China - Aug 29, 2010
- Fossil haul shows life's recovery after near-extinction - Dec 23, 2010
- 160-mln yr old dinosaur disocvery bolsters bird-dino connection - Jan 29, 2010
- Dinosaur fossil discovered in China - Apr 15, 2012
- Giant dino's footprints may have created "death pits" 160 mln yrs ago - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: academy of sciences, china beijing, chinese academy of sciences, dinosaur fossils, dinosaur species, fossil, hind limbs, inner mongolia autonomous region, late cretaceous period, million years, north china, predator, research fellow, sandstorm, scientist, skeleton, specimen, theropod dinosaurs, transitional stage, xinhua