Natural teak forests declining worldwide: UNApril 26th, 2012 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Yangon, April 26 (IANS) Natural teak forests are in decline worldwide, almost half of which grow in Myanmar, the UN Food and Agricultural Organization has said. Such forests grow only in three other countries today — India, Laos and Thailand.
Asia holds over 90 percent of the world’s teak resources, and India alone manages 38 percent of the world’s planted teak forests.
FAO’s global Teak Resources and Market Assessment report estimated that in 2010, the combined area of natural teak forest was about 29 million hectares, and almost half of which is in Myanmar.
It said the natural teak forests declined by 385,000 hectares globally between 1992 and 2010. The study, released last month, was conducted in 60 tropical countries.
Myanmar is the only country that currently produces quality teak from natural forests. India, Laos and Thailand have banned logging in natural forests or log exports.
Planted teak forests are increasing in area and producing high quality wood when good management practices are applied, Mizzima News quoted the report as saying.
On average it takes about 80 years for planted teak to grow to harvestable size.
- Natural teak forests declining: UN - Mar 27, 2012
- Myanmar: An isolated nation opens up - May 26, 2012
- Destruction of world's forests slows down: UN - Mar 25, 2010
- Thai company to explore oil in Myanmar - Feb 13, 2012
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- 'Myanmar can become top rice exporter' - Feb 02, 2012
- Myanmar gas export revenue up - Apr 26, 2012
- US firm to supply X-ray machines to Myanmar - Jul 17, 2012
- India records 'modest growth' of forest area despite population boom: FAO report - Feb 03, 2011
- Myanmar gas exploration contract inked - Jun 11, 2012
- Flawed policies Myanmar's biggest setback: Official - Mar 04, 2012
- Myanmar to introduce e-visa system - Feb 01, 2012
- Myanmar to buy electricity from China - Apr 26, 2012
- Aung Suu Kyi to receive highest US award - Jul 19, 2012
- Myanmar 'slaves' rescued in Thailand - May 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,