Nathpa Jhakri project remains closed for seventh dayJune 17th, 2008 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 17 (IANS) The 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri Hydropower Project in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh remained closed for the seventh day Tuesday because of the high silt level. The silt content in the Sutlej river crossed 9,500 ppm (parts per million), whereas the permissible limit is 4,000 ppm, forcing the authorities to suspend power generation in all the six units of 250 MW each.
The closure has affected the electricity supply to other states in north India, including Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.
The silt level Tuesday was 5,400 ppm, while the river flow was 1,110 cusecs against the normal flow of 400 to 600 cusecs, Vijay Verma, deputy general manager of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam, told IANS.
He said the sudden inflow of the silt was due to melting of glaciers in the catchment of the Spiti river.
He said in 2005 the project was closed for 32 days due to a flash flood in the Beas river.
The closure of power generation is causing a daily loss of Rs.90 million ($2.2 million) to the project authorities.
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
- Power crisis in north as Himachal hydropower project shuts - Jun 24, 2010
- Himachal's hydropower plant remains shut for fifth day - Aug 09, 2010
- Himachal's power project remains shut for fourth day - Jul 29, 2010
- High silt keeps power plant shut in Himachal for sixth day - Aug 10, 2010
- SJVNL resumes power generation - Aug 18, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri hydropower plant remains shut for third day - Jul 28, 2010
- Nathpa Jhakri plant shut, disrupts power supply in North - Jul 27, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Himachal hydropower project shut down - Jul 19, 2010
- Himachal hydropower plant resumes generation - Jun 25, 2010
Tags: beas river, catchment, cusecs, electricity supply, flash flood, haryana, hydropower project, inflow, jal, melting of glaciers, normal flow, north india, power generation, ppm parts per million, project authorities, river flow, rs 90, spiti river, sutlej river, vidyut