MPs cycle their way to parliamentSeptember 7th, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) A group of MPs from various political parties Friday cycled to parliament to spread awareness about the need to protect the environment and to assert the rights of cyclists on roads.
The MPs belonging to Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and some independent members cycled a small stretch from Vijay Chowk to Parliament House at 10.30 a.m.
“We may have differences on various political issues but when it comes to protecting environment all of us are united,” said Anand Bhaskar Rapolu, a Congress MP from Andhra Pradesh, who rode pillion on BJP leader Tarun Vijay’s cycle.
The MPs entered the parliament from Gate no. 3 near Vijay Chowk and were received by Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
“A cycle remains the best and most affordable vehicle to commute in India. It keeps you fit, doesn’t pollute the environment and also costs no money to operate,” said Vijay.
BSP member Dhananjay Singh said that it is a symbolic gesture and MPs will continue their efforts to assert the rights of cyclists on roads.
“Many people are ready to cycle to their offices provided there is cycling infrastructure. It is a start and soon more people will join us in asserting rights of cyclists,” he added.
Former Indian hockey player and Rajya Sabha member Dilip Tirkey also joined the group.
“Cycling is the best way to spread awareness about clean environment and remain healthy besides, dealing with rising oil process,” he said.
- Harpreet Singh wins Elite Race at Hero Delhi Cyclothon - Oct 09, 2011
- 120 top riders for Delhi Cyclothon - Oct 06, 2011
- Rajya Sabha disrupted over weavers, Tamil Nadu road (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- BSP has cheated Dalits: BJP - Feb 19, 2012
- Notification issued for UP Rajya Sabha seats - Mar 12, 2012
- Key Delhi roads shut for cycling event, no traffic jams - Oct 10, 2010
- Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian lawmakers condemn Gita 'insult' in Russia (Second Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
- MPs to get 300 percent pay hike soon (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bhaskar, bjp, chowk, clean environment, dilip, independent members, indian hockey, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, parliament house, protecting environment, rajya sabha, sabha member, samaj, symbolic gesture, tirkey, various political issues