Mormugao port causing Vasco’s coal dust pollution: MinisterAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 7 (IANS) Goa’s environment minister Alina Saldanha Tuesday said the Mormugao Port Trust (MPT) was responsible for the coal dust pollution in the port city of Vasco, 35 km from here.
“MPT has behaved irresponsibly and not adhered to conditions by the GSPCB (Goa State Pollution Control Board) and High Court and has repeatedly not fulfilled the directions issued,” Saldanha told the state assembly.
She said that black soot rising from handling of coal at the port’s hoarding berth was layering the town.
“I will visit the site along with a team after the monsoon and examine the issue thoroughly,” she said, adding that air pollution monitoring stations set up by the GSPCB in the town were showing high levels of dust and particulate matter.
“As a short term measure, the GSPCB shall ensure maintaining of the coal stack height, water sprinkling of the coal, till such time a closed shed is built at berth 11,” Saldanha said, referring to MPT’s promise to build a closed shed for handling coal.
The issue of coal dust pollution has long been an issue. Several residents have even approached the High Court seeking relief.
The MPT has meanwhile promised to build a shed to contain the dust.
- Goa to attract ocean cruise liners - Apr 05, 2012
- Dumping of coal at Goa port irks Jairam Ramesh - Aug 31, 2009
- Goa port to build berths for foreign navies, cruises - Apr 03, 2010
- Goa businessmen look to Australia for tourism development - Aug 24, 2012
- Ships from Japan not allowed to de-ballast in Goa ports - Apr 22, 2011
- Illegal mining forces drop in ore export figures - Apr 05, 2012
- Privatisation of loss-making Goa port plant only a last resort: MP - Nov 10, 2011
- 'Goa land grab behind spat with port trust' - Mar 03, 2011
- Naphtha pipeline shut as fire continues - Aug 22, 2011
- K.K. Birla group company temporarily closed - Aug 31, 2011
- Goa port to develop berths to attract cruise vessels - Sep 22, 2009
- Demand to designate Goa port as pharma export zone - Aug 02, 2011
- Goa port blames Kamat's ministry for illegal ore export - Oct 11, 2011
- Goa port ties up with private developer for coal handling berth - Sep 22, 2009
- Goa illegal mining scam: Panaji port to be made accountable - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: air pollution monitoring, alina, berth, black soot, coal dust, dust pollution, environment minister, goa state, hoarding, mormugao port trust, mpt, panaji, particulate matter, pollution control board, saldanha, sprinkling, stack height, state assembly, state pollution control board, term measure