More snowfall, rain in HimachalFebruary 16th, 2011 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 16 (IANS) Snowfall in the higher reaches and intermittent rain in low and mid hills of Himachal Pradesh continued for the fourth day Wednesday, intensifying a cold wave.Incessant rain across the state partially hampered the air traffic. “Flights from Delhi to Shimla and Dharamsala were as per schedule but could not be operational at Kullu on the second day,” an airport official said here.
“High-altitude areas of Lahaul and Spiti, Chamba, Mandi, Kullu, Kinnaur and Shimla districts again experienced moderate to heavy snow during the past 24 hours,” a met department official said.
Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, experienced about 26 cm of snow, while it was 4.9 cm in Kalpa in Kinnaur district.
The picturesque tourist resort of Manali has been experiencing snowfall since Sunday. However, snowfall has so far continued to elude the state capital which was lashed by rains.
Shimla’s nearby hills like Narkanda, where the four-day National Winter Games for the intellectually disabled began Wednesday, have experienced good snow, the weatherman said.
Games organisers said the Narkanda ski slopes have more than one foot of snow and events like snow shoeing, snow boarding and alpine skiing would be organised. Over 200 people from eight states are taking part in the games.
Shimla recorded a low of 2.4 degrees Celsius, while it was minus 4.1 degrees in Keylong, minus 2 degrees in Kalpa, 5 degrees in Bhuntar and 2.1 degrees in Dharamsala.
The weather office said some places in Kangra, Kullu, Chamba and Lahaul and Spiti districts would experience heavy snow till early Thursday.
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- It's snowing Valentine's fun in Himachal - Feb 13, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Himachal may experience heavy snow, rain - Mar 01, 2011
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Himachal hill towns get set for more snow (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get more snowfall (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- More rain, snowfall forecast for Himachal - Feb 14, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: alpine skiing, chamba, cold wave, foot of snow, heavy snow, high altitude, himachal, incessant rain, intermittent rain, kalpa, kinnaur, kullu, manali, mid hills, narkanda, nearby hills, shimla, ski slopes, snow boarding, weather office