More snowfall in Shimla, upper ManaliJanuary 14th, 2011 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 14 (IANS) Shimla and nearby tourist spots in Himachal Pradesh got a fresh spell of snowfall Friday morning, making the hill stations even more picturesque.While Shimla saw a light spell of snow, places nearby like Kufri and Narkanda have been experiencing moderate snowfall, a Met official here told IANS. Hills overlooking Manali also received snow.
The weather office said there are chances of widespread rain and snowfall in the state till Jan 15 due to western disturbances - storm systems originating from the Caspian Sea in Central Asia and moving across the Afghanistan-Pakistan region.
“There are chances of heavy snowfall at isolated places in the state till Saturday,” the met office said.
Shimla received the season’s first snowfall on New Year’s eve. It was the first time in eight years that the town saw snow on the last day of the year.
Manali, some 250 km from here, experienced a mild spell of snow earlier Jan 9 and also on the last two days of 2010.
Police said that traffic in Shimla and Manali were plying normally despite the snowfall.
- Fresh snowfall drapes Shimla in white - Feb 26, 2011
- Manali freezes at minus 7 degrees - Jan 10, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Himachal expects snow, rain and intense cold wave - Jan 13, 2011
- Hills near Shimla get season's first snowfall - Dec 29, 2010
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Snowfall gets Shimla, Manali shivering (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- More snowfall expected in Himachal - Jan 11, 2011
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Himachal slightly warmer but rain, snow expected (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, caspian sea, central asia, day of the year, eve, first snowfall, friday morning, heavy snowfall, kufri, manali, met office, narkanda, new year, rain, storm systems, tourist spots, traffic, weather office