More snow in Dalai Lama’s abode (Lead)January 19th, 2012 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 19 (IANS) McLeodganj, the abode of the Dalai Lama in Himachal Pradesh, was covered in white again Thursday, with more than one foot of snow. Lower areas like Dharamsala saw moderate showers.
The Dhauladhar ranges of the Himalayas, forming the backdrop to the Tibetan spiritual leader’s official palace, have been experiencing heavy snow, the Met office here said.
McLeodganj has been receiving some of the heaviest snowfall in many years. A weather official said McLeodganj and its nearby areas have experienced more than one foot of snow.
However, Dharamsala (12.6 mm), Kangra (23 mm) and Palampur (10.4 mm) towns saw moderate showers.
An official in the Dalai Lama’s office said he could not take his scheduled flight to Delhi from Gaggal airport, near McLeodganj, due to inclement weather. The spiritual guru had to rush to Pathankot in Punjab, some 80 km from his official palace, to take the flight.
According to the Met department, Shimla’s minimum temperature fell by 1.6 degrees from Wednesday’s 0.2 degree.
The tourist resort of Manali in Kullu district saw 9 cm of snow in the past 24 hours and recorded a low of minus 1 degree Celsius. However, hills overlooking the town experienced heavy snow.
Kalpa, some 250 km from here, recorded the night temperature of minus 7 degrees Celsius while it was minus 12.6 degrees in Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district, and 1.7 degrees in Dharamsala.
Saloni town in Chamba district experienced the heaviest snow in the state of 75 cm.
The Met Office has warned of more snow during the weekend.
A fresh western disturbance is likely to affect the western Himalayan region Jan 22-23, said the weather office.
- Dalai Lama's abode gets more snow - Jan 19, 2012
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Himachal towns get snow after 35 years (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Sunny, but nippy day in Himachal - Feb 15, 2012
- Cold wave continues to grip Himachal - Feb 05, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, rain disrupts flights - Feb 15, 2011
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Sunny but chilly in Himachal - Jan 23, 2012
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: abode, dalai lama, foot of snow, heavy snow, himachal pradesh, himalayan region, himalayas, inclement weather, lahaul and spiti district, manali, minimum temperature, nearby areas, night temperature, palampur, snowfall, spiritual guru, spiti, tibetan spiritual leader, tourist resort, weather office