More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead)August 29th, 2012 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) It was a rained-out morning in the capital Wednesday with the season’s heaviest showers resulting in several areas being waterlogged and the inevitable traffic snarls that snagged office-goers.
The IMD has forecast more rain in the next two days, adding that the cyclonic development that triggered sudden showers would hover for the next two days.
“This is the season’s heaviest rainfall. There is the possibility of heavy rain with thundershowers in some areas,” said an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
“Maximum temperature would stay around 30 degrees Celsius,” the official said.
The total rainfall recorded till 8.30 a.m was 59.9 mm. The minimum temperature settled at 23.6 degrees Celsius, a notch below the average.
“The cyclonic development over the National Capital Region triggered incessant rains with dense clouds. This would continue for two days after which it will head towards Uttar Pradesh, Nepal,” the official explained.
The monsoon would last till Sep 20, he added.
The Yamuna also inched closer to the danger mark.
“The Yamuna level is 0.15 metre below the danger level of 204.83 metres,” said an official from the flood and irrigation department.
Early morning showers Wednesday led to chaos in the city with people having to wade through knee-deep water in several areas, water seeping into basements and traffic jams on key roads.
The traffic department had started issuing alerts on social networking sites and its website asking people to avoid rain-affected routes.
Traffic officials said there were reports of snarls from nearly all parts of the city.
The worst affected areas were Wazirpur and Ashok Vihar, Ashram Chowk, Moolchand flyover, Nehru Place, IIT crossing, Yusuf Sarai and Kashmere Gate.
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Delhi lashed by heavy rains; road, rail traffic hit - Sep 12, 2010
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Delhi, rainy weekend ahead (Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Rains lash capital, traffic snarls in several places - Aug 01, 2012
- Scattered rain, traffic jams in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 09, 2011
- Rains drench Delhi again, more showers likely (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Wet Delhi causes traffic snarls (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- Cloudy morning, another rainy day expected - Aug 26, 2010
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,