Moon to come closest to earth Sunday nightMay 6th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Star gazers in the capital are in for a celestial treat Sunday night as it will be the only night in 2012 when the moon will shine at its brightest and biggest.
The spectacular view will become possible because the full moon will come closest to earth and the distance between celestial bodies will by only 357,000 km against a mean distance of 384,400 km.
The Super moon will appear at 905 p.m. IST.
“The moon will appear brighter and 14 percent bigger than its normal size because of its close proximity to the earth. The moon will come this near only in 2014,” said Mila Mitra from Science Popularization Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE).
- Moon comes closest to Earth (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Earth will see bigger, brighter Moon Saturday - Mar 19, 2011
- Celestial treat on R-Day - Jan 25, 2012
- Moon to be biggest, brightest May 6 - May 02, 2012
- Moon to be brightest Sunday - May 05, 2012
- Watch out for Jupiter, Moon conjunction Tuesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Catch brightest view of Mars on January 29 - Jan 28, 2010
- Supermoon not to have devastating effects, say Indian scientists - Mar 19, 2011
- Jupiter, Uranus to shine brightest Tuesday - Sep 20, 2010
- This Saturday moon will appear bigger, brighter! - Mar 15, 2011
- Total lunar eclipse Dec 10 - Dec 06, 2011
- Jupiter to appear brightest when it makes its closest pass by Earth on Sep 20th - Sep 15, 2010
- India to miss total solar eclipse - Jul 11, 2010
- Hundreds throng to watch Supermoon phenomenon in India - Mar 20, 2011
- Watch 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 19, 2012