Monsoon may reach Kerala by SundayMay 23rd, 2009 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 23 (IANS) The India Meteorological Department (IMD) Saturday said that conditions were favourable for the onset of monsoon in Kerala by Sunday.
The IMD said on its website that the conditions were also favourable for further advance of the monsoon into some parts of south Arabian Sea, some parts of extreme south peninsula, parts of south Bay of Bengal and some more parts of central Bay of Bengal during the same period.
Earlier this month, the IMD had predicted that the onset of the monsoon in Kerala would be on May 26 with a model error of four days to either side of the mean. Last year, the monsoon hit the state May 28.
From Kerala, the monsoon travels upwards to the central Indian plains and is expected to cover most of the country by June end.
The IMD has also issued a warning that isolated heavy to very heavy rainfall will take place in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Kerala, and isolated heavy rainfall over Lakshadweep and coastal Karnataka.
The outlook for the next two days was rainfall activity at most places over northeastern states and east India with possibility of heavy to very heavy rainfall at a few places.
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala three days before schedule (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala - May 29, 2011
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala - May 31, 2010
- Rains lash north India, mercury scales down - Jun 08, 2010
- India's northeast records 38 percent deficit rainfall - Aug 03, 2011
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2012
- Parts of Maharashtra sizzle at 47 degrees - May 26, 2012
- India to up defences in Andamans, Lakshadweep - Jun 27, 2011
- Monsoon to be normal this year: Weather office (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala, south India gets rains (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- India cheers as monsoon arrives in Kerala (Night Lead) - May 31, 2010
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, arabian sea, bay of bengal, coastal karnataka, east india, further advance, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, lakshadweep, model error, monsoon, northeastern states, rainfall, south peninsula, thiruvananthapuram