Monsoon finally hits Bihar, widespread rains expectedJune 20th, 2012 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 20 (IANS) The much-awaited monsoon has entered Bihar, rains lashing several parts of the state Wednesday and bringing much-needed relief to people, particularly farmers, an official here said.
“Widespread rains are likely in the next 48 hours across the state,” he added.
Meteorological department officials here said that monsoon will be active over Bihar within 24 hours following “development of a low pressure system” in the north Bay of Bengal. “The state can expect a normal monsoon this year,” the official said.
D.C. Gupta from the Patna meteorological centre said that intense heat conditions in Bihar were over now. “The sky over Patna is partly cloudy since Sunday and rains lashed the city Monday as well as Tuesday. Rains may lash Wednesday also,” he said.
People, particularly farmers, who were worried till two days ago and held special prayers to invoke the rain gods, celebrated Wednesday.
Delayed monsoon and scorching heat have forced the Bihar government to announce the extension of the summer vacation in both private as well as government schools till June 23, officials said.
“Now all schools will re-open June 25,” an official in the state education department said.
The monsoon usually hits Bihar between June 11 and June 13. But this year, it was delayed by over a week and scorching heat since May created havoc as it affected normal life of the people for nearly one and half months.
This year, the maximum temperature in Patna has been hovering above 43.5 degrees celsius since early May. Last week, Patna recorded the highest temperature of 45.6 degrees celsius.
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Rain likely in Delhi Thursday (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Warming Himachal hills portend rains? - Jul 03, 2012
- Rains brings hope to Bihar farmers - Jul 09, 2012
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in parched Bihar - Jun 18, 2011
- Shimla records second warmest July in 21 years - Jul 03, 2012
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon a week away (Second lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Delhi has dry, hot Friday; Saturday may bring showers (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Monsoon in Himachal delayed by over a week - Jun 28, 2012
- Mercury dips as monsoon arrives in Delhi (Second Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Hot, windy day in Delhi, rain likely Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Hot weather continues in Himachal hills - Jun 30, 2012
- Muggy Tuesday in Delhi, rain expected Wednesday (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: bay of bengal, bihar government, d c gupta, department officials, farmers, government schools, havoc, heat conditions, intense heat, june 23, maximum temperature, meteorological centre, meteorological department, monsoon, prayers, rain gods, scorching heat, sky, state education department, summer vacation