Monsoon arrives in KeralaMay 31st, 2010 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 31 (IANS) Monsoon arrived in Kerala Monday. Fairly widespread to widespread rainfall was reported in the state as also in coastal Karnataka, south Tamil Nadu and the northeastern states, weather officials said.
The rainfall amount recorded at 8:30 a.m. was (all in cm) Karwar (11), Gangtok (9), Kannur and Panjim (6 each), Kailashahar (5), Cherrapunji, Alappuzha and Honavar (4), and Minicoy, Kozikode and north Lakhimpur (3).
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) announced that the southwest monsoon has further advanced into most parts of south Arabian Sea, entire Kerala, south Tamil Nadu and some more parts of southwest Bay of Bengal.
The conditions were favourable for further advancement of monsoon into some parts of central Arabian Sea, coastal and south interior Karnataka and Goa during Tuesday and Wednesday, it said.
The monsoon’s advance will also depend upon the intensity and direction of movement of the low pressure area currently lying over central Arabian Sea at 8:30 a.m. Monday, it added.
The IMD also said that the heatwave conditions have abated from northwest India. However, the heat wave continued to prevail over many parts of Vidarbha and isolated pockets of Telangana. The highest maximum temperature of 46.1 degrees Celsius was recorded at Nagpur (Maharashtra).
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala three days before schedule (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Monsoon arrives in Kerala - May 29, 2011
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
- Monsoon reaches Andaman Islands - May 17, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala, south India gets rains (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Roundup) - Jun 05, 2012
- India cheers as monsoon arrives in Kerala (Night Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Monsoon hits Kerala, IMD says delay is ok (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- India's monsoon likely to be normal: Deshmukh (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Monsoon may reach Kerala by Sunday - May 23, 2009
- Heavy rains end dry spell in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Monsoon advances further into India - Jun 14, 2010
Tags: alappuzha, arabian sea, bay of bengal, coastal karnataka, honavar, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kannur, kozikode, maximum temperature, minicoy, northeastern states, northwest india, panjim, rainfall amount, south interior, southwest bay, southwest monsoon, tamil nadu, weather officials