Minimum temperature in Delhi breaks five-year recordJune 2nd, 2010 - 11:25 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) Felt uncomfortably hot and sweaty since early in the day? Don’t be surprised. The minimum temperature recorded early Wednesday was six degrees above average and has broken a five year record.
“The minimum temperature recorded this (Wednesday) morning was 34 degrees Celsius. This is six degrees above average and the highest minimum temperature recorded on June 2 in the last five years,” an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) told IANS.
In 2009, the minimum temperature recorded June 2 was 25 degrees Celsius. In 2008, it was 26, in 2007 it was 31, in 2006 it was 22 and in 2005 it was 29 degrees.
“The rise in the minimum temperature is mainly because of the westerly winds blowing over the capital. There is a possibility of dust haze too during the day. The maximum temperature is likely to touch 44 degrees Celsius,” the official said.
“However, during the evening there is a likelihood of a thunderstorm which may bring some relief from the heat,” the official added.
On Tuesday, the maximum and the minimum temperatures were recorded at 44.1 and 28 degrees Celsius respectively.
- Cloudy, dusty morning in Delhi - May 17, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, dust storm likely - Jun 02, 2012
- Clear morning in Delhi, light rains ahead - Jun 03, 2012
- Delhi scorches as mercury rises to 44.1 degrees again (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- Sweltering day for Delhi - Jun 20, 2012
- Sunny morning in Delhi, but rains expected - Jul 13, 2011
- Hot, dry day in Delhi, mercury to rise Saturday (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Light drizzle in Delhi, thunderstorm likely - Apr 10, 2012
- Dust haze engulfs capital, temperature soars - Apr 22, 2010
- Drizzle Saturday evening gives Delhi respite (Second lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Pleasant morning in capital, thunderstorms likely - May 05, 2011
- Delhi minimum temperature breaks 40-year record (Second Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Dust haze blankets Delhi, hot day ahead - May 18, 2012
- Thursday brings dust, haze and heat in Delhi - Jun 03, 2010
- Drizzle in Delhi, thunderstorm likely - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: haze, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, likelihood, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, New Delhi, six degrees, thunderstorm, wednesday morning, westerly winds