Millions of dead fish found in California marinaMarch 10th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, March 10 (IANS/EFE) Millions of dead fish were found in a marina in Los Angeles, California, a media report said.
Authorities were trying hard to clean up the area as the surprising situation Tuesday made for memorable sights such as dozens of boats floating on a sea of dead fish a foot deep, the Los Angeles Times said on its website.
Preliminary reports by experts suggest “deprivation of oxygen” as the cause of the fish kill, but so far there is no proof that the situation has an “environmental” cause, officials said.
In principle, the massive gathering of fish in a relatively small enclosed area could result in a lack of oxygen in the water there, but officials said that they are conducting tests of the water in the marina to determine if there might be toxins, oil or chemicals in the water that could harm sea life.
Although it’s not certain yet, the cause might be the appearance of an elevated number of algae in the area, if higher concentrations of oxygen in the water can be proven, University of Southern California researchers said.
The massive presence of algae in an area of water results not only in higher oxygen consumption there but also produces toxins that could prove fatal for marine life, David Caron, a professor at the university, said.
- Mystery over millions of dead fish in US harbour - Mar 09, 2011
- Thousands of fish found dead near Los Angeles - Apr 20, 2011
- 200 tonnes of fish found dead on Japan coast - Jun 08, 2012
- Hundreds of fish washing up dead on Florida beaches - Jul 21, 2011
- 40 tons of dead fish removed off Brazilian coast - Mar 01, 2010
- Fast test for severe form of food poisoning - Nov 10, 2011
- Iron fertilization boosting toxin-producing algae growth in open ocean: Study - Nov 09, 2010
- Man sets over 20 fires in LA - Jan 01, 2012
- Four dead, five missing in Mexico boat accident - Mar 10, 2011
- Over 200,000 fish die in Argentine lake - Feb 17, 2010
- Bearded 'super' fish helps salvage ocean dead zone - Jul 17, 2010
- Study finds how sea urchins affect coral reefs' growth - Jan 15, 2011
- Over 30 turtles found dead in Guatemala - Jul 22, 2010
- Humans increasingly poisoned by reef fish - Sep 11, 2012
- Four die in Ecuador gold mine blast - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: algae, angeles california, california marina, california researchers, chemicals, david caron, dozens, efe, environmental cause, kv, lack of oxygen, los angeles times, massive presence, memorable sights, millions of dead fish, mj, oxygen consumption, sea life, university of southern california, water results