Mercury plummets with fresh snowfall in HimachalJanuary 29th, 2010 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 29 (IANS) Fresh snowfall in the higher reaches of Himachal Pradesh Friday once again intensified cold wave conditions in the state.
“Moderate to heavy snowfall was recorded in the higher reaches of Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Kullu and Chamba districts,” Manmohan Singh, director of the meteorological office, told IANS.
He said that Keylong, the district headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti, was the coldest in the state with the minimum temperature recorded at minus 6.8 degrees Celsius. It has recorded more than 5 cm of snow since Friday morning.
Popular tourist destination Manali also witnessed another spell of snow.
“Hills overlooking Manali saw moderate to heavy snow, but Manali got a mild spell of snow,” he said.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 feet) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft), located on the Manali-Leh highway, also experienced heavy snowfall.
Singh said there were reports of moderate to heavy rain in lower and mid hills. The state capital and its nearby areas were lashed by thundershowers and sleet.
Shimla recorded a high of 11.8 degrees, against Thursday’s 15 degrees Celsius.
Sundernagar in Mandi district recorded the day temperature at 18.7 degrees, Bhuntar in Kullu district 11.2 degrees and Dharamsala in Kangra district 16.8 degrees Celsius.
These towns Thursday saw maximum of 22.8 degrees, 22 degrees and 20.8 degrees Celsius, respectively.
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- High-altitude Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Oct 27, 2010
- Himachal hills may experience more snow - Nov 22, 2010
- Snow to add to Himachal's New Year's Eve festivities - Dec 26, 2010
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Shimla wrapped up in white blanket again - Feb 24, 2011
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal sees fresh snowfall, gets colder - Jan 30, 2011
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Himachal's popular tourist destinations get more snow (Lead) - Jan 30, 2011
- Head to Manali for a white V-Day (Lead) - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: chamba, cold wave, dharamsala, district 11, district headquarters, heavy rain, himachal pradesh, kangra district, kinnaur, kullu district, manmohan singh, mercury plummets, meteorological office, mid hills, rohtang, shimla, snow hills, spiti, thundershowers, wave conditions