Mercury dips as monsoon arrives in Delhi (Second Lead)June 26th, 2011 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) Bringing relief after days of sweltering heat and humidity, the monsoon arrived in Delhi Sunday - three days before it was expected, sending the maximum temperature plummeting.
The maximum temperature was 30 degree Celsius, seven degrees below the average, while the minimum was two notches below average at 25.9 degrees Celsius, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The IMD announced the arrival of monsoon in Delhi Sunday, three days ahead of its normal schedule of June 29. Rains lashed the national capital early morning, with a total of 8.8 mm rain recorded.
Last year, the monsoon arrived in the capital a week late on July 5. But the capital recorded 772.3 mm of rainfall as compared to the average rains of 645.7 mm.
The earliest onset of monsoon in Delhi in past 30 years was recorded in 2008 when it arrived June 15 and the most delayed was in 1987 - July 26.
Similar weather conditions are expected on Monday with the IMD forecasting a cloudy day with possibility of rain.
“The sky will remain cloudy with possibility of rain. One or two spells may be heavy,” an IMD official said.
The maximum temperature has been forecast to be around 31 degree Celsius, while minimum has been pegged around 26 degree Celsius.
The IMD has forecast around 97 percent of average monsoon rains for the northern plains.
- Monsoon arrives in capital (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Humid Saturday for Delhi, rains likely Sunday (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Cool day for Delhi, showers expected - Jul 08, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains in store - Apr 26, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, showers ahead - Sep 08, 2012
- Humid, cloudy Wednesday in Delhi; rains likely Thursday (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- Breezy Tuesday morning for Delhi, rain likely - Jul 10, 2012
- Sunny morning in Delhi, cloudy day ahead - Aug 05, 2011
- Cloudy, warm day in Delhi, no rains expected Friday (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Cloudy Thursday for Delhi, rain likely (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Cool, wet day ahead in Delhi - Jul 10, 2011
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains likely - Sep 17, 2012
- More rain in store in Delhi - Aug 30, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, light rains expected - Jul 27, 2012
- Rain in Delhi, more likely - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: cloudy day, degree celsius, dips, humidity, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, june 29, maximum temperature, mercury, monsoon in delhi, monsoon rains, New Delhi, notches, rain one, rainfall, sky, spells, sweltering heat, weather conditions