Mercury below freezing point in Himachal after snowfallOctober 23rd, 2010 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 23 (IANS) Widespread rain and snowfall in Himachal Pradesh brought down the mercury Saturday with Kalpa village in Kinnaur district recording a minimum temperature below freezing point, a weather department official said.
“Kalpa recorded a low of minus 0.5 degrees Celsius. It was the coldest place in the state,” meteorological office Director Manmohan Singh told IANS.
Kalpa and Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district saw 12.7 cm and 18 cm of snowfall, respectively, by Saturday morning. These towns Friday recorded a night temperature of 6 degrees Celsius and 5.3 degrees, respectively.
The minimum temperature in Shimla also plummeted after rain Saturday. It recorded a low temperature of 5.6 degrees Celsius against Friday’s 11.3 degrees Celsius.
Shimla recorded 19.1 mm rainfall since Friday.
Sundernagar in Mandi district recorded a low of 10.5 degrees Celsius while the minimum temperature in Bhuntar in Kullu district and Dharamsala in Kangra district was 7.2 degrees Celsius and 10.5 degrees, respectively.
The picturesque town of Manali experienced the season’s first snowfall Friday evening.
The meteorological office said Manali recorded five centimetres of snow, while the Rohtang Pass, 52 km from Manali, experienced more than two feet of snowfall.
The weatherman predicted mainly clear sky across the state Sunday.
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
- Sunny but nippy New Year's day in Himachal (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- Himachal hills freeze after snowfall - Nov 20, 2010
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Manali wrapped up in white blanket - Dec 10, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Mild snowfall in Shimla, Manali - Mar 08, 2012
- Mercury plummets across Himachal Pradesh - Jan 21, 2012
- Himachal hill towns get set for more snow (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Himachal hills may experience more snow - Nov 22, 2010
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Intense cold returns to Himachal after snowfall - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: clear sky, coldest place, dharamsala, first snowfall, freezing point, friday evening, himachal, lahaul and spiti district, mandi district, manmohan, manmohan singh, meteorological office, minimum temperature, night temperature, office director, picturesque town, rohtang, spiti, weather department, weatherman